Emergency Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whats an AirII?
What is the controversy surrounding it?

An octo that is integrated with the inflator on your BCD. Some people like them, some people hate them to the point of trying to push their gear choice onto others. Most people, I suspect, don't care either way.

Like any gear, you should train with it so you know how to use it.

...I won't use the swivels that are held together by those little screws....however, I have happily used the Atomic Aquatics swivel hoses on a bunch of regs for years and have absolutely no worries about using them....other scuba reg manufacturers also offer them (Apeks/Oceanic/Tusa) The OEM ones are designed/assembled differently such that it's all one piece instead of the little clamshell held together by a screw design....way too many stories of that type failing !

I didn't see where, he said, the swivel came apart. He just said it separated from the second stage, as if it come loose. If that was the case he could have just re-attached it and continued the dive.

Interesting assessment. It seems everyone re-acts differently to an emergency, perceived emergency, or potential emergency. I am a recreational diver. I realise we have all types of divers and levels of training out there, including military training, which I imagine includes repetitive emergency proceedures.

I found, in a recent scuba emergency, my "analytical mind" wanted to immediately address the problem. Fortunately, the "survival" part of my mind, literally over-rode my analytical mind, and expressed a definite forget it Mr. Fix-it, the dive is over. My survival mind instructed me to immediately start my ascent straight to the surface. My thought process was that I am going to the surface one way or another, with or without weights, and with or without gear. In hind sight, it was somewhat pandemonius, yet controlled.

Looking back I find 3 things of interest. My survival instinct literally took over my mind, forcing calmness (this I find interesting), and forcing an immediate controlled behavior (ascent).

I am sure that addressing and fixing a problem, at depth, is in some cases, is the correct thing to do, but not in all cases.

I would love to get an airII but as of yet have no spare cash. Interesting about the swivel though. A couple of guys I dive with use them but I have a fairly long 2nd stage hose so have never really felt the need. I'll be sure to direct them to this thread just as an FYI.

Another +1 for Miflex.
I've been diving an Atomic B2 primary for years, and still wasn't convinced the swivel did much good. Once the standard hose was charged, the swivel tightened up, and created the same jaw fatigue you get on a standard length non-swivel hose.

I replaced the swivel with a Miflex (yes, you can do it on an Atomic -- if you do a search, I posted instructions, and pictures for what you'll need sometime last year) and jaw fatigue is no longer an issue... Have since replaced all my hoses with Miflex... well worth the price.

Well handled!

I'm not sure if I agree with some of the posts doing equipment maintenance at depth after a failure! I suppose if you are with Chuck Norris about to do an amphibious assault then that's a different story.

I consider myself to be on my own pretty much too. Buddies I've had are usually to busy following a DM's fins or are doing a handstand on 1 finger whilst trying to give fish their air.

If something goes wrong yeah a buddy is a lifeline but I always think of how I can get out of a situation on my own without drowning, getting bent or getting a propeller impaled in my scalp.

D

The first thing I thought about was to reach back to first stage and grab the hose from there and work my way down so I could at least get it out of my face or kink it. Are the hoses hard to control in this type of scenario?

I use an Aeris Ion regulator, it has a swivel connection onto my second stage. So far I haven't had any problems, quite the opposite in fact. However it is good to know some of the problems that can arise with my equipment.

I was thinking of having a longer air hose installed onto my regulator, maybe an extra foot just to see how well it works and to truly fine tune my equipment specs.

My alternate air doesn't have a swivel attachment, just a rotator that turns 360 degrees, any known problems anyone can think of with those connections?

swivel connecting my second stage to my regulator hose

I have to say I have no idea what a swivel is -based on the comments it seems questionable but I would like to know what it is.

A swivel is basically a ball-joint connecting the reg hose to the second stage. Theoretically, it allows for greater comfort since you can move your head and have the reg swivel rather than take the hose along with the movement.

swivel_C.jpg

Personally, I found once by B2 hose was charged (tank valve opened), the swivel didn't swivel terribly easily... I prefer Miflex hoses for accomplishing that comfort level with greater success.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom