Emergency Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

troconn

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Over the years I have taught the procedure hundreds of times to as many students, but until a few weeks ago I had never actually experienced a actual event that necessitated doing it for real myself. Here's the story... I had put on a swivel connecting my second stage to my regulator hose in an attempt to make my regulator more comfortable in my mouth. Over the course of a couple of months and a dozen or so dives it was becoming a little stiff and on this particular dive it was really bothering me. I was at about 65 feet and took a breath, took the reg out of my mouth and began to twist the swivel around in its range of motion. It seemed to be getting looser and then suddenly it separated from the second stage. Then I had a little mini air fire hose and the bubbles obliterated my vision. I immediately put my AIR II into my mouth, cleared it and started heading to the surface. Luckily this little event had started when I had 1500 pounds left in a 80 and my biggest challenge was trying to watch my ascent rate and see my gauges. I made it to the surface, a little fast, but no side effects. The boat captain was on top of me when I hit the surface, he said the bubbles were pretty dramatic. I was diving with my girl friend and my daughter, both of which followed me to the surface. So, the moral to this story has three parts for me: #1: I don't think too much of swivels on air hoses... don't think I'll ever get another... I got a little longer hose and it seemed to do the trick without all the moving parts... #2: When something like that happens it is up to you to save you... or at least give it the ole college try... I like diving with a buddy because I'm a social kind of guy :<}... but I don't rely on people to save me. I am fortunate in that I've been diving long enough that it really was second nature, but newer divers should think about what they would do in air emergencies and at least practice using their secondary air supplies... Now if I'd been at 120 feet instead of 65 feet things might have turned out differently, but I think I still would have made it to the surface, but it would have probably turned into a real emergency ascent before I got there instead of the controlled bubble fest this last one was. Conversely, as a buddy it is your responsibility to "participate in the event" and render assistance if required, i.e., if I was ascending and the bubbles stopped, be there to offer to share your air... Oh yeah, #3: Don't try to loosen things underwater! That was really stupid. Dive safe? Aloha.

When I read up on swivels there seemed to be a huge failure rate. They are an item that should not be used. Some of the swivels have even been recalled due to repetitive failures. Now I do understand that a ball swivel that one reg manufacturer uses is captured and not prone to failure.

A long hose has many benefits including keeping the reg from pulling. A 5-7 foot hose works great in all circumstances, and makes air shares very comfortable.

We train to utilize our buddies and practice air share drills often. Most likely I would have headed to a buddy for air and then shut my own post down. The hose could have also been bent back on itself to pinch it off thus slowing the loss of air.

Oh and welcome to Scubaboard :)

When I read up on swivels there seemed to be a huge failure rate. They are an item that should not be used. Some of the swivels have even been recalled due to repetitive failures. Now I do understand that a ball swivel that one reg manufacturer uses is captured and not prone to failure.

A long hose has many benefits including keeping the reg from pulling. A 5-7 foot hose works great in all circumstances, and makes air shares very comfortable.

We train to utilize our buddies and practice air share drills often. Most likely I would have headed to a buddy for air and then shut my own post down. The hose could have also been bent back on itself to pinch it off thus slowing the loss of air.

Oh and welcome to Scubaboard :)

No hijack intended.

I just came back from first trip (10 days) with long hose and bungied back up. And wouldn't you guess - it was my first time I needed to share my air. It was a dream, easy relaxed and could have continued dive easily. Miflex hoses too - they rock for all things diving apart from hanging them up - they're very 'slippy' so the normal rubber friction doesn't keep them in situ. However, given the choice between a reg with yet another moveable part (i.e. point of failure) and a flexible hose, the answer to me is clear - get your ass a miflex hose - they are truly lovely. If I could afford it I'd wrap my Christmas tree with them :)

J

Interesting post, thanks for the experience.

Folding the hose sharply at 180 deg will staunch the majority of the flow.

Interesting post, thanks for the experience.

Folding the hose sharply at 180 deg will staunch the majority of the flow.

And then you could attach it back to the second stage. Hand tight works, but wrench tight is better.

Many months ago there was a video clip of 2 pool dives whereas a LP hose was cut when AL 80 was full with the gas emptying out in I am guessing at 1.3 minutes and the same senario with the HP hose taking 3-4 times longer (small hole)....perhaps someone will post...

Last edited:
And then you could attach it back to the second stage. Hand tight works, but wrench tight is better.

I doubt you are going to do that. The allen set screw is tiny, and probably lost. I remember reading the o-ring blows out sometimes too.

Personally my second stage regs are only hand tightened onto my hoses. Makes it easy to switch them around and if an adjustment on the second stage is needed it can be done in a few seconds. Plus they could be swapped around if using a stage bottle underwater.

Many months ago there was a video clip of 2 pool dives whereas a LP hose was cut when AL 80 was full with the gas emptying out in I am guessing at 1.3 minutes and the same senario with the HP hose taking 3-4 times longer (small hole)....perhaps someone will post...

Those are on the ScubaToys website.

Back
Top Bottom