Embarassment in the pool... horking from acid reflux?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Concur. Also, some air swallowing at depth could expand once surfacing enhancing reflux. If it only occurs during diving, it maybe more regurgitation primary due to air swallowing and at times reduced GI motility from excitement:wink:.

Should the OP see a doctor if it happens regularly? And if so, what kind of doctor? :wink:

Should the OP see a doctor if it happens regularly? And if so, what kind of doctor? :wink:

Her GP or FP, and better to see a real doc than the virtual docs at SB. Any anti-acid type medicine to reduce the effect of the stomach contents from irritating the esophagus, such as Prilosec or Nexium etc., is often what will be given and a real doc visit helps as there is remote possibility there can be other non-diving issues causing reflux.

Thanks to everyone for your replies to my embarassing and nasty problem. I've done some heavy research today on acid reflux and while I've never any of the symptoms I am going to hit up the doc when I get home from Belize just to make sure that this isn't the start of something bad. I might even make a call to DAN to see what they say.

I'll definately be keeping an eye out for what I'm eating before diving though. Definately no marinara sauce or tomatos for that matter, or anything that's very acidic...since that's what I ate before all hell broke lose last night. And come to think of it, I had a sandwich with tomatoes the first time I experienced something like this while diving. Maybe my stomach doesn't like tomatos or tomato product under pressure.:cool2:

~~~~~~~UPDATE~~~~~~~~
I did call DAN and they weren't familliar with this type of situation but said that it didn't sound like acid reflux and more like swallowing air. That on top of an acidic food and not having done any diving for a few months might have caued it. They also said that if I have any problems in the future, diving or non-diving related, that are similar to go to the doctor. I'm just praying that it doesn't because that sucked and was EMBARASSING!:)

Last edited:
I do have reflux and have been diagnosed by an real doctor. What I didn't know is that left untreated, reflux can lead to cancer. So, please, go see the doctor when you return. As some additional information, in case it is reflux, I try to eat bananas and toast for breakfast and stay away from the fruit they serve between dives. This goes for carbonated beverages as well. Chocolate and eggs are also out. Have a great time.

What has gone unmentioned is that acid reflux is often caused by that great American epidemic, overeating. Of course, consult your doctor, this might not be true in your case. But until then, the simple first step is to eat less. That may have all sorts of other positive repercussions.

Oh belive me, I will be going to the doctor when I get home. I don't want any "ifs" when it comes to my health. Granted, I was just at the doctor a couple of weeks ago and got a 100% on my health...everything from weight to cardiovascular...but there could be something missed.

I'm also inclined to agree that it's a reflux/regurgitation-type event. There wasn't mention of nausea, sweats, headache, apathy, or the muscular contractions of vomiting; things usually associated with motion sickness. Also different from typical motion sickness is the "dry mouth" and this may be the result of the exertion mentioned in playing with the toy. Exertion and stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system may have also resulted in changes to diaphramatic muscle tone which lowered support for the esophageal sphincter -- i.e. under stress, some people barf.

If such events continue, I suggest taking note of the circumstances, including the time of day and relationship to eating. And as disgusting as it sounds, it may help to also note the explusion force, contents, color, and odor of the vomitus.

I think I figured mine out. I drink 12oz Redbulls on dive trips and outings. Its giving me major heartburn, so bad I burp up.

I didnt drink anything but water this weekend, and I was just fine. WooHoo!

i have a problem with reflux myself, and the miracle treatment for it for me was prilosec, after discussing it with my doc, it fixes me up in no time, and I had it pretty bad, I was on it daily for months to get all fixed up, then weaned down, now i only need it once in a while. Ask your doc about it, it's OTC, and kicks in in less than an hour.

Back
Top Bottom