Embarassment in the pool... horking from acid reflux?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darcey

Contributor
Reaction score
I've searched for topics on this and have gotten a good insight as to what might have happened last night but I just wanted to run my specific issue by everyone and see what might have happened.

Last night I met my DI at the pool so I could play with my new regulator before leaving for Belize this Sunday. After being down at the bottom at about 10ft for about 5-10 minutes I experienced some serious dry mouth to the point that I had to come up so I could take the reg out and try to get some saliva flowing. I got to the surface and took my reg out and next thing I know I've got vomit coming up. I wasn't "throwing up" like you do when you're sick (or hungover!) and I really didn't gag until I realized what was going on. It wasn't much more than a mouthfull (sorry, I know this is gross) and I covered what was going on as well as I could. Thank God the skimmer was near me! (YUCK!) My DI came up and asked if I was okay. I'm guessing he saw me horking...which didn't help with the embarassment factor. I said I was fine...just had some dry mouth. He asked me when the last time I was on gas was and I said November...and he said that sometimes he gets acid reflux while diving, especially if it's been awhile between dives. The rest of the dive went well and I felt fine and only burped a few times, luckily without vomit to accompany it.

I have a stomach made of iron and have never had a problem with acid reflux or any other stomach related issue. After talking with my co-worker who does have stomach issues, she said that sometimes it's like you burp and vomit comes with it. (YUCK AGAIN!) After she said that it occured to me that I've had this problem once before during my navigation dive for my AOW. I burped and once again, a little vomit came with it but I somehow managed to control it that time.

I didn't have much to eat before diving as I know that my stomach gets upset if I do and I also gave myself 1.5 hours before diving after eating to let things digest as much as possible.

What happened? Was it acid refulx? I really don't want to re-live this embarassing experience, especially in Belize. I do know that I am going to stick some antacids in my OH S**T kit (aka my save a dive kit :D )just in case I end up eating more than a snack on the boat at any point.

Thanks in advance to any and all help on this embarassing subject!!!

Last edited:
I'm not a doctor. This is not medical advice. You should consult a doctor.

One hypothetical reason could be that you were swallowing air at depth, and on ascent the air expanded distending your stomach and forcing the contents out.

I'm not a medical doctor, but it could be oil or other contaminate in the reg or the tank. It's happened to me before, and that's what the issue was.

I would like to encourage you to visit your doctor if you think you have reflux. This can lead to serious issues if not repaired. I will not give my medical history with reflux other than it gets worse if not dealt with. I will say this IF it is reflux sometimes diet will help with this problem. This IS not to be dealt with in a forum other than where to go to get advice on this issue.

It sounds a little bit like minor motion sickness, are you prone to that?

It sounds a little bit like minor motion sickness, are you prone to that?

A little. If I'm in an enclosed area, like the back of a car, I do get ill...but that's the only real problem I've ran across. I'm a boater and have been on some pretty rough water and have never had a problem...but then I'm on a pretty large boat and am not trapped in a small area.

Now that I think about it, we were playing with a toy torpedo underwater and I was moving, flipping and spinning around quite a bit to catch or retrieve it. That might have done it...or at least not helped!

This is a very typical symptom for reflux. If this is occurring to you while diving, it is likely that some degree of it is occurring (without the gastric fluid getting all the way to your mouth) at other times. I agree that it's worth talking to a physician. Untreated reflux can lead, over time, to serious problems.

A little. If I'm in an enclosed area, like the back of a car, I do get ill...but that's the only real problem I've ran across. I'm a boater and have been on some pretty rough water and have never had a problem...but then I'm on a pretty large boat and am not trapped in a small area.

Now that I think about it, we were playing with a toy torpedo underwater and I was moving, flipping and spinning around quite a bit to catch or retrieve it. That might have done it...or at least not helped!

I have reflux and get motion sick so who knows which influences it more. I have been on meds for reflux for a long time so that's under control...but I still urp from motion sickness now and then.

Hope you get it figured out. :thumb:

This is a very typical symptom for reflux. If this is occurring to you while diving, it is likely that some degree of it is occurring (without the gastric fluid getting all the way to your mouth) at other times. I agree that it's worth talking to a physician. Untreated reflux can lead, over time, to serious problems.

Concur. Also, some air swallowing at depth could expand once surfacing enhancing reflux. If it only occurs during diving, it maybe more regurgitation primary due to air swallowing and at times reduced GI motility from excitement:wink:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom