Embarassing Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lizard Leg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When we were down in the Keys June 15-24 - seems as if I got into "sea lice". I've done the research, talkedto my dermatologist and I know what they are and have been using the cream she gave me as well.

Here's the rub - I only have them on my right leg under where the prosthetic liner rolls onto my leg. Normally ythings like this don;t even bother me, but I guess the skin under that liner (hasn't seen sunlight in 8 years) was tender enough for it to bother me.

It's been over a month and seems to get better and almost go away, then comes back. Repeat. Thoughts/suggestions? I get nervous anytime anything with the right leg isn't 100%.

Sounds like my battle with jiggers this year!
I get rid of one batch in time for the next!
I would post this on the medical forum as well.
Have you contacted D.A.N. , aka. Divers Alert Network? Scuba Diving Medical Safety Advice
They would be able to help you I am certain of that.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

No fun. Lizard Leg.

It is not unusual to get SBE under covered areas that adjoin the water such as the waist bands of swimsuits and the cuffs of wetsuits, and also hair, possibly as a result of trapping/rubbing of the offending juvenile thimble jellies.

It also is not uncommon for the rash to recur after the signs and symptoms initially subside. This is because antigenic material (e.g., tiny fragments of the offending organism) can remain in the wound. A cyclic immune response can persist for weeks after the incident, sometimes longer.

There is no mention what "cream" was prescribed by the dermatologist, but often times such topical preparations provide only very modest benefit even when they are of relatively high potency. In serious cases prescription antihistamines like Atarax or Vistaril, or oral steroids such as prednisone, may be directed by a doctor, but the situation described does not appear to warrant such treatment at the moment. In the meantime, some divers find an OTC antihistamine like loratadine (Claritin, 10 milligrams) or cetirizine (Zyrtec, 10 milligrams) taken as directed to help, although they can be mildly sedating. However, essentially gentle care and tincture of time are the best medicine.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Back
Top Bottom