Embarassing Moment - Shore Dive FAIL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was tagging along my good buddy's final check out dive for OW cert. He was leaving for Hawaii that week with his son who was also certifying that day. If he wasn't trying to certify before vacation I don't think we would have tried that day.

Waves were little high at 3-4 feet. Having done few shore dives I wasn't overly concerned but was going to keep us on our toes. We got out past surf zone uneventfully. Surge was really a problem, the instructor's dive float actually got pulled out of the sand at one point. We tried to swim over the reef but viz was getting worse, less than 10 ft. We thumbed the dive and headed back to shore.

Things started to get little exciting at this point. Waves now getting bigger and running 6 ft as we were trying to exit. I didn't get tumbled but a large wave knocked a fin out of my hand. Fortunately it washed up on shore right in front of me and I recovered it uneventfully.

My friend got tumbled. I helped him to his feet and we exited okay at that time. His son had his mask on top of his head (newbie mistake!). A large wave knocked it off his head and also tore his fins out of his hands. I had already gotten out of my gear so I was able to chase them down the beach to recover them. We weren't so lucky with his brand new prescription mask. After searching for very long time we surrendered it to Neptune's locker. Fortunately a few days later a kind diver returned it to the LDS.

All's well that ends well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom