Elite 2 Harness Fitting / Adjustment Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geogator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I don't know if anyone who has one of these harnesses can assist with this (or if a Hollis rep monitors this board) but I have a question. I recently received this harness for Xmas to go with my aluminum BP & S25 wing. (It replaced an older solo harness.) After consulting the Hollis website for installation instructions (like others, my CD only had original Elite instructions on it) & properly putting it together on my rig (using my existing crotch strap), I tried it out last week on a few of springs dives. I REALLY like the harness overall even though I did have to trim some off of the waist belt some to shorten it up & not have so much extra length hanging about. (I'm a 40" waist & about 44-45" chest) My issue is that on land, after adjusting the shoulder straps down as far as possible using the pull tabs under the clips, the rig was pretty tight. However, after getting in the water (which loosens things up as expected) the pads were not completely tight against my chest anymore, to the point where I could put about 2 finger-widths between them & my chest. The waist belt was secure, as was the crotch strap, so the rig didn't slide up/down at all. The chest strap was also secure so the shoulder pads were aligned nicely with the BP. Nonetheless, not having the shoulder straps completely tight against my body was a bit disconcerting during the dives & while floating on the surface. Is there anyway of tightening these down anymore, since the lower strap is already pulled tight? Would shortening the upper shoulder straps (cutting off some of the length & re-threading through the pads, rings, etc.) accomplish this or do I somehow need to have shorter shoulder pads? I'm really pleased with this new harness overall (esp. having more D-rings, a better belt clip & release clips on the shoulders vs. the solo) & just want to make it more snug.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

When diving a bp/w setup with a hog harness, or something very similar (which looks to be the case with the elite 2), the shoulder straps can be a bit looser than when using a conventional bc.

Have a look at these threads for more reference.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...cs-weight-systems/375773-cant-decide-bpw.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/buoyancy-compensators-bcs-weight-systems/173993-hog-vs-deluxe.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hogarthian-diving/353513-bp-w-riding-up.html

Thanks for the info. I'll check those out. Part of the reason I got away from the solo was getting in/out was difficult, especially on land, since there's only 1 strap & it connects to the BP at both ends. If I need to drop the Elite 2 in an emergency it's just "click, click, click" on the shoulders/chest, along with the belt & crotch strap & you're out.

I was having the same issue. I just adjusted the looong shoulder harness webbing until it was snug with the built-in pull tabs all the way extended. then re-routed the entire length of the original 2" harness webbing back up through all the buckles and D-Rings. This way when I get into the system just a small tug on the built-in harness adjust pull tabs and "Bobs your Uncle!" perfectly secure. At depth another little tug and she snugs right up! Here are a few pics on my advanced airway dummy here at work since I can't be in the water today :(

My Hogarthian Setup:

Hollis SS Backplate
Hollis Elite II Harness
HOG 32 lbs Wing
HOG D1 First Stage - Cold Water
HOG D1 Second Stage (x2)
HOG 2" SPG
Zeagle Crotch Strap
7' LP Hose for Primary
22" LP Hose for backup on necklace
26" HP Hose for SPG

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg