Eleuthera Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rosebud

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there anyone out there who has ever been diving in Eleuthera in the Bahamas? The eleu.net site as well as other sites talk about it as if it has wonderful shore diving, but I'd love to hear from someone who has actually been there, done that. We're going end of May. Thanks to anyone that can help!!! :10:

... but if you run a search of eleuthera on this board it comes up disappointingly sparse. Yeah there's the civil war train wreck, the deep column thing, a thrilling high current area, and a couple decent wrecks for diving. On land the prime attraction is that window thing at the north end, which is more of a photo op than a place to linger at.
I've spent hours researching Eleuthera the last few weeks, as I'll be spending my summer at the Island School down at the Cape. Strangely there was an article in the Houston Chronicle today about Harbour Island (just a biscuit toss from the North end). The journalist spent a great deal of her time talking about golf carts... talk about sidetracked.

What I do know is most of the touristy stuff and dive outfits are concentrated to the North. I really wish I knew more about the diving there too. On the flip side since so few people go there now, it'll be more like an adventure.

Hi Rosebud,

Well you found someone! I ran the scuba diving at the Club Med in Governors Harbour about 8 years ago. Unfortunately the only program that we ran was a scuba school with excursions to Harbour Island. Fortunately, we were able to do a lot of shore diving which was phenomenal! More 5+lb. Lobsters than you’ve ever seen in your life! All virgin reefs. After the season at CM I then worked with Jef Fox up on Harbour Island. If you guys want full details etc. e-mail me and I’ll gladly fill you in on either places.

Tom

rosebud:
Is there anyone out there who has ever been diving in Eleuthera in the Bahamas? The eleu.net site as well as other sites talk about it as if it has wonderful shore diving, but I'd love to hear from someone who has actually been there, done that. We're going end of May. Thanks to anyone that can help!!! :10:

329 Max,
Thanks so much for that encouraging report!We were really looking for the real scoop and are really getting excited about going. I'm into u/w photography and would be happy at 10 ft on a nice coral head with lots of macro subjects, but my husband likes the high voltage stuff, so we'll do some of the Harbor Island dives but mostly it will be shore diving. My brother heard about a dive at the southern tip where the informer said he never failed to see sharks, mantas ,or whale sharks. Know anything about that one? I've read that the Club Med beach has a nice reef but you need a boat of some variety to reach it. Also, how do you get those big bugs there?Do you use a bag and tickle stick like we do here in FL or is there another way? What mm wet suit would you reccomend for May29-June 5 for someone who is chronically cold? (3mm full or 2mm shortie w/skin.)Sorry to ask so many questions. I found Valentine's Dive center web site so can contact them about the H.I. dives. Thanks so much for the info.
Rosebud

Down South there`s (or was at the time) a small operator out of Rock Sound .There`s actually some kick a#@ wall diving there.As far as the reef off of club med (Atlantic Side) you definately don`t need a boat to reach it. I will admit that we were actually breaking the law by taking bugs on Scuba( prohibited in the Bahamas)especially with a pneumatic gun.We kinda looked at it as thinning out the herd since nobody was diving the area including any locals for many years.Also, it was a hell of a bargaining tool to get whatever we wanted at CM ! As far as a suit ...I `ve always found a full to be better .Especially when exploring swimthroughs tunnels etc in the reefs.As far as diving Harbour Island.... Get in touch with Jef Fox @ http://oceanfoxdiving.com I worked with Jef when I lived there. He has lived on the Island for over 20 years and knows everything .He`s a really great guy and will make sure you have the best dives possible.Stay away from the Train wreck! that is the most over-rated lousy dive that exists.Basically the train was a small model sized train used to move sugarcane around.all that existed ten years ago when I dove there was some rusty wheels ! The Primo dive site up there is the Plateau which I seriously could have done daily and not have been bored !
If you do get in touch with Jef please tell him tom kenney from NY sends his best regards..

Archman, Thanks for your reply to my Eleuthera question. I did get a response from someone else who had been there(look under your posting to me) which sounded encouraging. We were looking for a low key, no touristy stuff place to kick back when we weren't underwater as well as some nice shore dives for me to spend extra time with my camera. If it turns out well I'll post a report on the SB. A few good sites I've found for Eleu. info are www.eleu.net ,www.eleutheraliving.com. Also if you go to www.vacationrentalsbyowner.com (www.vrbo.com) and click on Caribbean destinations then follow the links to Bahamas and then Eleuthera, you can see homes for rent that include lots of pictures and descriptions of the area.
Rosebud

Back
Top Bottom