Electronic C Card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the SSI app on my iphone. It's keeps all the c-cards handy. I've never had to use it, I am good about keeping my c-card(s) handy.

FWIW, neither my OW (2002) or Nitrox (2009) cards have such text.
All of my cards are the same: "This diver has satisfactorily met the standards for this certification level as set forth by: PADI [address and url]".

Thanks, nice to know there's some progress.
Interesting. Both of mine are from 2012, so it seems like they're making progress, at least on certifications where there are ISO standards.

I've had the same frustrations with PADI -- way behind the times IMO -- relevant info not all on one side of the card, and the infamous multiple profile problem: unable to find my certs in their system due to my name being entered differently by different instructors. The good news is I had to get a replacement NITROX card and the new card finally has ALL the info needed on one side, thank goodness.

I still carry the card especially when I travel but recently I left a hotel without it and did not want to turn back. Fortunately I remembered that I had previously sent another organization scanned copies of my cards using my Yahoo email, so I just found that email using my smart phone and downloaded the images. The shop accepted them no problem, and now I keep them stored on the phone for future use. Just in case.

I would recommend scanning at least one c-card and emailing it to yourself. There's no personal info on it other than your name, and this way you can download it from the email server even if you change phones or other mobile devices, or even if you have to borrow someone else's.

I've had the same frustrations with PADI -- way behind the times IMO -- relevant not all on one side of the card, and the infamous multiple profile problem: unable to find my certs in their system due to my name being entered differently by different instructors. The good news is I had to get a replacement NITROX card and the new card finally has ALL the info needed on one side, thank goodness.
I had this problem as well. A quick email to PADI Customer Service straightened this out. Name on the cards still vary (Some are Timothy Lyons, some are Timothy P. Lyons, some are Tim Lyons) but the names attached to the certification now all match.

---------- Post added July 2nd, 2013 at 01:26 PM ----------

I would recommend scanning at least one c-card and emailing it to yourself. There's no personal info on it other than your name, and this way you can download it from the email server even if you change phones or other mobile devices, or even if you have to borrow someone else's.
This is a great idea! I can't always guarantee my iPhone will be charged, but I can always use someone else's device to access my email.

I have a butt load of cards. Just keep my SEI Instructor, CMAS 2 star instructor, TDI Nitrox instructor, and NAUI Helitrox in my wallet. The others all live in a waterproof Vault case made for an older cell phone. I should scan them or at least take pics and save in the phone in case I ever forget my wallet.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

After reading this thread, I just scanned my cards into my Key Ring app on my Android. I was surprised to see PADI listed in the card list already! Thanks for the great idea.

Not sure everyone has grasped my specific question. The card image is generic, not my specific card with my name, photo. It DOSE have my card number and instructor and instructor number and my date of birth.

I am mainly interested if this will sufice? I know I can scan, carry the physical card, but I just want to know if this is enough.

COULD I GET A COMMENRT from anyone from a shop that fills tanks, rents gear, or boat operator that books trips on boats if this is enough?

The problem is, and it's what others are trying to tell you, it could depend on the shop. If it's official from SSI, then you'd think the answer is yes, but are you going to test that out traveling overseas? I sure wouldn't. What if the shop has never seen the app before? I would check with any shop you intend to do business with, whether local or abroad, until this form of proof of certification is more widely accepted.

badges? we don't need no stinkin' badges....

Not sure everyone has grasped my specific question. The card image is generic, not my specific card with my name, photo. It DOSE have my card number and instructor and instructor number and my date of birth.

I am mainly interested if this will sufice? I know I can scan, carry the physical card, but I just want to know if this is enough.

COULD I GET A COMMENRT from anyone from a shop that fills tanks, rents gear, or boat operator that books trips on boats if this is enough?

Actually, my TDI cards don't have my picture. Just my name, cert date and number, and instructor info. Not sure a picture is that big of a deal.

All of us telling you that we've done this and gotten fills, on boats, in quarries, etc. I've been on recreational and technical charters with a scanned card and have for the last 2 years.

If you are that concerned put one card (the highest you'll ever need) in you wallet and scan the rest.

Back
Top Bottom