Electric in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wlecyt40

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good Morning all!

Silly question but here goes. My wife and I are going to Bonaire this October and have been reading about the electrical differences. Do we need to pack a converter for power or can we use our power cords for our iPads, iPhones or dive computers (Garmin Descent MK2i)? Or do we need to just pick an adapter for US to Bonaire plugs? If we have to get any of that, can you recommend a good product or aim us in the right direction?

Thank you all.

Apple products have included power adapters that are modular and can be switched out by any user to suit any country.

Doc is correct about not needing a power adapter, as it is included in most electronic devices. Also, every place I've stayed at on Bonaire has had Type A or B outlets, so no need for a plug adapter either.

Doc is correct about not needing a power adapter, as it is included in most electronic devices. Also, every place I've stayed at on Bonaire has had Type A or B outlets, so no need for a plug adapter either.
Ditto here. The rental villas we have stayed at all had a mix of some Type A/B (that is, American outlets) and some Type F (European outlets). I have never brought any kind of adapter with me.

You are unlikely to need a converter anywhere in the world anymore. Simply check that anything electrical you will travel with is rated for the voltage/amperage. Nowadays, pretty much anything is. If you travel with a non-travel hair dryer, iron, alarm clock, whatever -ask yourself if you will really need it, or if they will have them at your destination.

Adapters are often not needed either, because many places will have some sort of universal outlets or a mix of outlets. Or adapters available to loan. Places that have alot of US visitors will usually cater to that somehow. But adapters are small and light to carry and doesn’t hurt to have a couple.

My experience is the same as everyone else’s, but I do bring a power strip with a surge protector. I’ve never encountered a surge, but islands are notorious for them.

The extra outlets on the strip can be very helpful since a lot of places are built without many outlets.

Erik

My experience is the same as everyone else’s, but I do bring a power strip with a surge protector. I’ve never encountered a surge, but islands are notorious for them.

The extra outlets on the strip can be very helpful since a lot of places are built without many outlets.

Erik
Buddy Dive has their own diesel generators for power, but if you are on island power, the surge protector is a good idea.
Ditto needing more outlets....and a small extension cord.Toothbrush, phone, battery charger(s), hearing aids, watch, computer, dive light...it goes on and on. More stuff to plug in each trip.

Been on Bonaire many time and never needed an adapter or converter. However I always bring an outlet strip because most places don't have enough places to plug things or it's in the wrong place.

Check where you are staying that your appliance(Most Phones) show 100-240V, 50/60 Hz, IT is the frequency you need to be sure of. Ladies your US hair dryer will burn out.

Check where you are staying that your appliance(Most Phones) show 100-240V, 50/60 Hz, IT is the frequency you need to be sure of. Ladies your US hair dryer will burn out.
Not your appliance. Rather the TRANSFORMER associated with the device.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom