Elasmobranch related MSc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lamnid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have finally decided to do my MSc in some region of elasmobranch research. I've trawled through papers on the sharks trust website and many other marine websites but I am really stumped to think up a title for my research. I really want to focus on conservation and not a topic which would involve me staring down a microscope for hours on end (eg some micro cellular study on shark lipids or something hideous!)
Anyone got any good ideas or has done an MSc themselves and could point me to a site with more info? Thanks. Caz.

Typically, the first (and last) place that graduate students get their research ideas from are the professors. The second place to get ideas is from relevant professional journals. I assume that if you're studying sharks, you're at an appropriate institution to access both of these resources.

Have you been accepted into the lab of a shark researcher or ichthyologitst? You sort of need that.

If you're still in the preliminary stages of selecting a graduate program, look to see where all the research labs are, and then examine each to see what their focus is. Every lab is different. If you like what you read, contact the professor and ask if he's willing to take you under his/her wing. The details of your specific thesis will come out of ideas generated from your lab experience.

Back
Top Bottom