El Secreto Ambergris Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Junes

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be visiting Ambergris in March for the first time and staying at the new resort El Secreto. There's not much online about them but I figured I'd give it a try since Victoria House and Matachica were both booked. They told me they use Amigos del Mar for the BH trips. Does anyone know which operator(s) they use for their local dive trips?

Btw I'm a newly-certified diver and from lurking around this forum for a while and reading the horror stories, have learned some useful information, so thank you...if I do the BH trip at all, I'll be snorkeling the fringe and only doing the last two dives!

With a name like that, it should be no surprise no one's heard of it.

With a name like that, it should be no surprise no one's heard of it.

At $800 to $2300 per night (per 2 guests) I can't imagine why not.

Secreto is new and very remote. Amigos doesn't pick up divers from the dock at Secreto, Instead Secreto charges 50.usd to take you in their boat to San Pedro to dive with Amigos. That quite a bit different. Its a lovely hotel but like a lot of hotels on the remote North of Ambergris, diving accommodations are sparse.

If Steve Lee is servicing Tranquility Bay, maybe he'll cover El Secreto as well...?

The curiosity was killing me so I decided to write El Secreto and see what they said. They said Amigos was providing local dive services. Given the distance involved, I took the next step and wrote Amigos to see if there were any additional costs involved. Amigos wrote back and said that there was a $60 charge for round trip transportation. I didn't ask whether that was per person or per group on the same boat. Whatever the case may be, it's definitely something a guest would want to take into consideration. I felt both responses came relatively quickly. El Secreto responded within two days of my inquiry and Amigos responded the very next day.

... Whatever the case may be, it's definitely something a guest would want to take into consideration.

At those nightly room rates, I would think that $60 extra per person is a non-issue.

This place was featured as a stopover night on one of those Travel Channel advertorials.

How long does it take to get from the resort to the dive op via boat?

Looks like a nice place to just chill out but maybe not ideal if the focus is a diving vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom