El Pulpo Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USC8791

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for opinions on El Pulpo Divers. Would you recommend them? I have a group of three adult, experienced divers heading to Cozumel in July. We'd prefer a smaller boat with less people; and, dive times based on our diving, not a pre-set limit. Will El Pulpo fit the bill? I've also heard good things about Scuba with Allison, and Living Underwater. Would these dive ops be preferred over El Pulpo? We're staying south of town at house that has a dock available for pick-up.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Don't know about the other two, but we've been using Scuba with Alison since 2004. We absolutely love her, and Carlos her boat captain. Sounds like she would easily fit what you're looking for. Her boat - the Maximus - is bigger than your normal six pack, but fast & comfy with a small cabin area, and holds a max of 8. She picks up from just north of the Caleta marina (El Cid/Park Royal piers), and pretty much all points south of that. In general, you dive your computer/tank and there are not time limits set. We have a blast everytime we dive with her, and will be going out with her again at the end of March. Can't wait!!

Don't know about the other two, but we've been using Scuba with Alison since 2004. We absolutely love her, and Carlos her boat captain. Sounds like she would easily fit what you're looking for. Her boat - the Maximus - is bigger than your normal six pack, but fast & comfy with a small cabin area, and holds a max of 8. She picks up from just north of the Caleta marina (El Cid/Park Royal piers), and pretty much all points south of that. In general, you dive your computer/tank and there are not time limits set. We have a blast everytime we dive with her, and will be going out with her again at the end of March. Can't wait!!

Ditto....

I'm looking for opinions on El Pulpo Divers. Would you recommend them? I have a group of three adult, experienced divers heading to Cozumel in July. We'd prefer a smaller boat with less people; and, dive times based on our diving, not a pre-set limit. Will El Pulpo fit the bill? I've also heard good things about Scuba with Allison, and Living Underwater. Would these dive ops be preferred over El Pulpo? We're staying south of town at house that has a dock available for pick-up.
Thanks in advance for your help!
I can totally vouch for Living Underwater, but know nothing about El Pulpo. The Jewfish is a nicer boat than what I saw on the El Pulpo website. LU uses steel 120s so you get plenty of bottom time, though 70 min is usually the limit except for 90 min at Columbia Shallows. They store all your gear, including wetsuit. I'm honestly not too fond of the cookies, but their fresh fruit is always good. There may be better DMs than Jeremy on the planet, but I have yet to dive with one. He's an American ex-pat, but has cultured an excellent Mexican accent so you get an authentic experience :)

I can totally vouch for Living Underwater, but know nothing about El Pulpo. The Jewfish is a nicer boat than what I saw on the El Pulpo website. LU uses steel 120s so you get plenty of bottom time, though 70 min is usually the limit except for 90 min at Columbia Shallows. They store all your gear, including wetsuit. I'm honestly not too fond of the cookies, but their fresh fruit is always good. There may be better DMs than Jeremy on the planet, but I have yet to dive with one. He's an American ex-pat, but has cultured an excellent Mexican accent so you get an authentic experience :)

Yeh - I still don't get that :) - I've been on the island as long or a tad longer than he has. I speak Spanish with an appropriate Spanish/Mexican accent - but when I speak English - I don't speak English with a Mexican accent! That boy is from Minnesota - he really had to work at getting that English with a MX accent down - hahaha!

To the OP - sorry - I have honestly never heard of this dive shop and don't know Alberto, the DM/Owner - so can't tell you anything about them.

one more for having never heard of them. The website says they've been here for years though. Curious to see if anyone has any experience with them.

He has a facebook page a website and a picture online and says he operates from the caleta.Somebody should do a little detective work and track him down.He also has excellent reviews on tripadvisor for what its worth and has been around since 1988.

Thanks guys for your replies! Sounds like Alison, LU or Christi's op may be the way to go. But now, given the responses, my curiosity is really peaked regarding El Pulpo. Would still love to know if any SB folks have experience with this 20+ year outfit. They were recommended by our house caretaker. Their website leads me to believe that they may focus on he cruise ship crowd and those new to diving. Either way thanks again for the info.

Well Matt and Christi, here are the clues. Fill us in on the rest:

The guy:

ALBERTO ANGULO SAURI

Born and raised in Cozumel, Alberto Sauri caters to the diver requiring a high level of attention. Alberto Sauri, age 44, has been diving since he was 8 years-old and now owns and operates El Pulpo Divers, one of the last local dive shops on the island. Certified as an OWSI open water instructor from PADI, Alberto Sauri is an expert in both safety and technique.

If you are a new diver, Alberto Sauri relieves most of the stress associated with your first dive. The boat will not be crowded with other, more experienced divers. With Alberto Sauri, you are 100% his focus. He has a gentle approach and a patient manner about him that calms even the most nervous diver.

If you are an experienced diver, you will want to dive with Alberto Sauri who knows every nook and cranny of the reefs, probably even with his eyes closed. Whether it is beautiful swim-throughs that attract you or the adrenaline rush you get on the Devil's Throat Dive at 140 feet, Alberto Sauri will accommodate you. He will make sure your dive is exciting as well as challenging, all the while providing a very safe excursion.

The Capitan:
JUAN MEDINA

Our captain, Captain Juan Medina, was born and raised in Dzilam De Bravo, a fishing village on the Yucatan coast. Growing up in a fishing village, Juan often swam 20-30 feet without air to catch a fish. This skill set makes Juan the best snorkel guide on the island of Cozumel. He can swim underwater for four plus minutes and is a great free diver. Juan has a sharp eye and seems to attract eels, barracudas, rays, and beautiful fish everywhere he dives. Captain Juan has been a part of the El Pulpo Divers team for the last decade.

The US Contact (Investor or owner?)
Erin Murray - US Contact

When booking a dive trip, numerous questions arise. Whether you want to know if you can have a private boat on a particular day,visit a reef that loved diving on a previous visit, or bring a snorkeling friend along, Erin Murray is available to answer all of your questions and assist you with your booking stateside. Although she was not born and raised in Cozumel, like Alberto, she considers herself an expert regarding El Pulpo as she has made well over 100 dives with them. She can be reached at 303-827-2423

And finally, the boat:

Boat Pictures resize.jpg

I read all of that - still don't know him. That boat has been around, but belonged(s) to one of the mechanics - looks newly painted. It still may be a boat he regularly uses - have to wonder why his name is not on the side of the boat if it's his.

I have been in operation for 11+ years now and have been coming here and diving here for 15+ years - never heard of this operation. I initially thought is was Pascual's operation - which I still think it may have been. Alberto has probably been here working as a DM and Instructor through various shops for 20 years - but I don't think that his operation has actually been in operation for that long - I could be very wrong of course!

Nothing good or bad to say - I still don't know anything about him, the captain or the operation - sorry!

Back
Top Bottom