El Norte?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really hope not, or our first ever trip to Coz or the Caribbean for my birthday may be ruined. Is shore diving at least an option? We could at least do that.

Does the ferry still run, or we won't be able to get to the island?

No worry, you can still get in diving. It's just the ports that are closed (extremely rare the ferry is shut down).

Ferry still runs, east coast dive boats are available and so is shore diving.

Shore diving during a Norte is an easy option (edit: if you are an experienced shore diver, oriented to the local environment and trained and equipped for the condition.) many of us enjoy.

Just choose some of the sites with sheltered entry points. If your dive op is knowledgeable they should be able to advice you on this.

Otherwise, book on the dive boats positioned on the lee side of the island or take a ferry to dive the mainland is also possible. The cenotes have beautiful cavern zones. It's a little colder feeling with the north wind so I wear my thicker wetsuit.

Enjoy paradise, in a norte its still much better conditions, easier entry and warmer than back home.

Cameron

You can get the rare opportunity to dive the now calm east side. It is really beautiful over there and we have prepositioned boats just for this purpose.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Great!

We arrive Saturday, start diving on Sunday. We’re staying at the Villa and, of course, diving with Aldora. We just want to dive.

If this is still going on, we’ll be happy to dive the east side with Aldora. Been there before with you and would be happy to go back!

Sidne

No worry, you can still get in diving. It's just the ports that are closed (extremely rare the ferry is shut down).

Ferry still runs, east coast dive boats are available and so is shore diving.

Shore diving during a Norte is an easy option many of us enjoy. Just choose some of the sites with sheltered entry points. If your dive op is knowledgeable they should be able to advice you on this.

Otherwise, book on the dive boats positioned on the lee side of the island or take a ferry to dive the mainland is also possible. The cenotes have beautiful cavern zones. It's a little colder feeling with the north wind so I wear my thicker wetsuit.

Enjoy paradise, in a norte its still much better conditions, easier entry and warmer than back home.

Cameron

Sorry Cameron,

This is not accurate information. When the port is closed, that includes shore diving - "All aquatic activities". No compliant, knowledgeable or responsible operation can or will rent tanks and Meridiano also will not rent tanks during a port closure.

Aldora has East side boats as long as conditions permit, however once the winds start shifting to the NE as predicted, East side diving can also be blown out - so it's not a guarantee.

Sorry Cameron,

This is not accurate information. When the port is closed, that includes shore diving - "All aquatic activities". No compliant, knowledgeable or responsible operation can or will rent tanks and Meridiano also will not rent tanks during a port closure.

Aldora has East side boats as long as conditions permit, however once the winds start shifting to the NE as predicted, East side diving can also be blown out - so it's not a guarantee.

Interesting, I regularly meet divers on the east side of the island on norte days often with a DM or instructor, sometimes alone. I also see divers on the 'house reefs' when the waves calm down. Does this differ from what your dive shop offers?

Are you suggesting "All aquatic activities" being shut down, does that include swimming and the beach resort snorkeling? If so, perhaps common sense has trumped compliance to a poorly thought out prohibition as those also are contained unabated.

Cameron

Interesting, I regularly meet divers on the east side of the island on norte days often with a DM or instructor, sometimes alone. I also see divers on the 'house reefs' when the waves calm down. Does this differ from what your dive shop offers?

Just because you are doing it and see others doing it does not mean it's permitted and is not good advice for visitors. And things are changing a lot now that the Navy is enforcing port closures.

I suspect these DM's and Instructors you are referring to are doing this on their own and not through a shop - because as stated above, no compliant, knowledgeable or responsible shop would encourage this.. Do they have insurance, permits to dive the east side, etc. etc.

As a Board member of ANOAAT (Watersports Association), we deal with these issues frequently.

Sorry Cameron,

You think Meridiano doesn't rent tanks during closures? I must have dreamed of East side diving.

Just because you are doing it and see others doing it does not mean it's permitted and is not good advice for visitors. And things are changing a lot now that the Navy is enforcing port closures.

I suspect these DM's and Instructors you are referring to are doing this on their own and not through a shop - because as stated above, no compliant, knowledgeable or responsible shop would encourage this.. Do they have insurance, permits to dive the east side, etc. etc.

As a Board member of ANOAAT (Watersports Association), we deal with these issues frequently.
I wonder what @Dave Dillehay thinks of you suggesting that '"All aquatic activities" are shut down with the port closure when Aldora still runs dive trips on the east coast and has invested significant infrastructure to accommodate the tourists in this way.

Why is it often those who don't make money on an activity are the ones who are loudest in saying it can't be done?

Cameron

Reactions: BRT
You think Meridiano doesn't rent tanks during closures? I must have dreamed of East side diving.

We got blown out by El Norte last January. Limited availability of boats on East side, No one would rent us tanks for east side shore dives. So we commuted by ferry each day to PdC and dove Puerto Aventuras. Ferry rides were rock and roll but operating.

Are you suggesting "All aquatic activities" being shut down, does that include swimming and the beach resort snorkeling? If so, perhaps common sense has trumped compliance to a poorly thought out prohibition as those also are contained unabated.

Cameron

I am not "suggesting" and I am not the one who makes the rules - just passing on my experience and knowledge as a Dive shop owner here for 18 years. When the Harbor Master closes the port for "all aquatic activities" that is what he means.

I wonder what @Dave Dillehay thinks of you suggesting that '"All aquatic activities" are shut down with the port closure when Aldora still runs dive trips on the east coast and has invested significant infrastructure to accommodate the tourists in this way.

Why is it often those who don't make money on an activity are the ones who are loudest in saying it can't be done?

Cameron

Read my post again - I am not talking about the East side - I am very familiar with what Aldora does and they do it legally. Aldora in fact has the ONLY permits to operate on the East side and I support them 100% - in fact, Memo is a very good friend of mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom