El Norte?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20181114_073321.jpg
Screenshot_2018-11-14-07-40-37.png

League City in Galveston County's north. Very light snowflakes followed by heavier sleet/ice pellets. Ground air temp never got below 37 but the wind is vicious. Back to Cozumel tomorrow according to United's schedule.

Dave
My parents live in League City so I'm quite familiar.

Dead calm and no forecasted wind until late afternoon and the POS port captain shutdown the port

8AM:
Navy is involved and has blockaded the port. Turned back boats that attempted to leave

8:30
Group gathering in front Port Captains residence. Poet Captain agreed to meet with several owners and talk about it. They are inside now

Wow! That's a whole lotta drama going on. Keep us updated.:popcorn:

Dead calm and no forecasted wind until late afternoon and the POS port captain shutdown the port

8AM:
Navy is involved and has blockaded the port. Turned back boats that attempted to leave

8:30
Group gathering in front Port Captains residence. Poet Captain agreed to meet with several owners and talk about it. They are inside now

Is something going on besides the weather?

Did 2 late morning dives with 3P no problem and more boats were still taking people out to the reef when we came back at 3pm.

Port actually opened right at 9am (as soon as myself and a few other ANOAAT members went inside) under the duress and pressure put on by the show of operators, dive staff and even guests - thanks to all of the Pelicans who showed up this morning.

Myself and 2 other ANOAAT members went inside to speak with the Harbor Master - but he was unavailable. We spoke to the Secretary and requested a meeting with him
To discuss solutions to this issue we seem
To be facing more frequently. That is that the orders come from VeraCruz and Campeche and they are applying the same closures to all ports from VeraCruz to Cancun to Cozumel rather than giving local Harbor Master the authority to make calls based on local conditions and forecasts. Of course we do not want to risk safety of our guests or crew, but prematurely closing the port in Cozumel When the front is 12-24 hours away is ludicrous.

On behalf of ANOAAT, we are preparing a letter with suggested solutions, protocols and options for considering local
Conditions and local forecasts to make these calls.

We hope to be heard by the Harbor Master early next week.

Great job! This is a PRIME example of why ANOATT will be such a valuable organization moving forward. Working together as a cohesive group will provide much better solutions to issues that arise in the Cozumel dive community.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom