El Cozumeleno Beach Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabob123

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning a trip to Cozumel in November and was looking for some feedback on the El Cozumeleno Beach resort. It's an All inclusive, right on the beach with decent looking ammenities. I have read most of the reviews out there (good, bad and ugly) but have seen few from divers. Have any divers out there been there recently? Had any experiences with the the dive shop, etc.?
My S.O. is a non-diver so I will probably take it easy with just the AM 2 tank dives each day.

P.S. There are some really great package deals for this place.... just don't want to get burned! :confused:

We stayed there a long time ago before it was an all-inclusive. We like the hotel. It has a small but decent beach with OK but not great snorkeling in front. There wasn't a dive op affiliated with the hotel at the time so I can't help you on that. The only negative in regards to diving is that you are a long way from the standard dives. El Cozumeleno is several miles NORTH of town and the standard dives are SOUTH of town. Depending on where you meet your boat, you could run into some serious taxi fares if you do a lot of diving.

There are a couple really good advanced dives in the general area of the hotel; namely Baracuda, San Juan and Cantarel but not every dive shop will go there and you need to be on a boat with all experienced divers.

http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/cozumel_diving.html

Ocean Tour is the on-site dive facility. Can't seem to find out much about them... and they haven't responded to 2 of my emails to them. Not a good sign. I'm wondering if we should be looking at Fiesta Americana instead.

Has anyone else had any recent experiences with El Cozumeleno???

Bob

:confused:

I'm a little unclear about your selection criteria for a resort & dive op.

El Coz is the far north of the island & FA is in the far south, and there are scads of places in between.

What, exactly, are you seeking?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

scubabob123 once bubbled...
Ocean Tour is the on-site dive facility. Can't seem to find out much about them... and they haven't responded to 2 of my emails to them. Not a good sign. I'm wondering if we should be looking at Fiesta Americana instead.

I've never heard of Ocean Tour. Even if they are for real, you are looking at some long boat rides to most of the dive sites. There are tons of places to stay south of town where you would have your pick of the many dive companies on the island. If diving is a major part of what you are going there for, I'd recommend looking at some hotels in the central and southern hotel zones. You may have found a deal with Cozumeleno, but deals abound.

Fiesta Americana is a good choice for some, but it is kind of a long way from town (though it is very close to a lot of dive sites). If you will be wanting to go into town a lot in taxis, figure $15 to $20 per round trip when you calculate your budget.

In the interim, checked out El Cozumeleno early Jul. In a quiet & peaceful neighborhood. Very clean with friendly staff. Upgraded rooms are spacious & have some super water views. Most excellent white sand beach that's tidied up daily. Rinse showers on beach. As others have metnioned, it's inconvenient because it's up north, but not near as inconvenient or costly to get into town as it from the Fiesta Americana way down south. Food seems to be good, but nothing special.

It is far from the traditional dives sites down south, although close to some of the more advanced sites up north like Barracuda & San Juan. Look for boat rides on the order of 45-60". Also, some surprisingly good snorkeling under the long pier on the north end of their beach.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Hmmmm?

OK, It's starting to sound like we should be looking for something a little farther south but maybe not as far south as F.A. Here's the deal... I'm the diver (fairly new one) and my S.O. isn't. She's very suppotive but she has no plans of diving. So I would like the place we stay at to be relatively close to town (maybe a $10 RT cab ride), close enough to the dive sites (15-30 minute boat ride) and be an all inclusive with decent ammenities.

Any other ideas? Recommendations?:confused:

Thanks, :)

Bob

Have you checked out the Presidente? It's kinda pricey, but it's fairly close to town, the amenities are great (from what I've heard), and it's on the "main drag" for the dive boats. It's also right on the water. Most of the hotels north of there but south of town are more the "dive resort" kind of place, where amenities are lesser. There is one upscale type of hotel a few blocks south of the plaza (Casa Mexicana, I believe), but it's across the road from the water and has no dock.

I'm pretty sure that the Presidente has an all-inclusive deal, but they are not too far from town to cab it into town for dinner.

.. Casa Mexicana does not.

Presidente is a very nice property. Excellent amenities. About a $6-7 cab ride to town e/w. On site dive op is Scuba Du, a bit conservative but does a good job. Within 15-30" boat ride of main southern reef. Decent beach & shore diving.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

We stayed at El Cozumeleno for two weeks in July. We found it a great hotel despite complaints in postings about the food that I read when researching our trip. Most AI's eateries are not gourmet restaurants but do allow you to not worry about where your next meal is coming from.

Scuba Du is the dive shop on the grounds. Ocean Tours does snorkeling tours and non-diving things. I did my first dive in the pool at El Coz and went with Scuba Du for the open water dive in the Discover Scuba course. I had buoyancy problems so I elected to use a private instructor and went three more times with her. I am now becoming certified--partly at home--and will return to Cozumel for my open water certification.

Scuba Du is also the dive shop at El Presidente, which is an expensive hotel; I'm not aware of an AI plan there. It is almost as far south as El Coz is north. The difference is that dive shops are located south of town unless they have a "branch" in a northern hotel. It will be easier to get to a shop if you stay south of town unless you use the shop in a north hotel. El Coz is almost the farthest north you can go. It would cost $8 one way to town in a taxi from El Coz and more if you go farther south to a dive shop. You can also rent a car (NOT AT EL COZ $$$) from many places on the island.

There is a wonderful site for information about hotels online--travelnotes and cozumelmycozumel about the island. There are boards on these sites where divers rate their stays. Another great resource is the Can-Do Cozumel map that shows reef and dive sites as well as hotels and other places. It costs a couple of dollars and can be ordered online.

You may also want to do research online about dive shops. You can stay at one hotel and use a dive shop from another if you wish. The two don't need to go together unless convenience alone is a huge issue. Sometimes dive shops have you go to their location, sometimes you meet them at the main pier right downtownl. Most of the businesses, including dive shops, will correspond with you via email about what they offer and you can easily make plans ahead of time.

Since I have not stayed at the southern hotels, I can't give you personal recommendations, but I do know the island. This is a list from my map of some hotels in the south zone from closest to town to "way down south"--Barracuda is closest t to town, then Plaza Las Glorias, Park Royal and La Ceiba; Presidente is south of the International Pier where the largest cruise ships come in, then Club del Sol, Fiesta American, Reef Club, Occidental Allegro, Iberostar, Occidental Grand. (Hotels are always changing names so...) Iberostar is an AI and I read happy divers reports about the stay there. While it is very far south, Palancar reef is just offshore which provides lots of diving depending on your level of expertise. Most shallower dives seem to be a bit closer to town.

All that said, if you want your S.O. to love diving, the dive shop you use is really important. See if you can find recommendations and make that decision. Find out where they are located and go from there. The island is small so traveling the entire length of the west coast north to south doesn't take forever.

Cozumel is a wonderful island. Eat at Casa Denis if you can and try the sopa de lima (lime soup). If you have more questions, feel free to be in touch.

Back
Top Bottom