EgyptAir rule on Lithium ion battery for dive lights for Egypt domestic flights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a large majority of my batteries confiscated in Cairo in early October. Fortunately, it was the return trip. I made it through Hurghada security 3x and Cairo 2x but the third and final check in Cairo they would not let me through with them.

The first check in Hurghada they were going to confiscate them, there was lots of yelling at me and then they called the bomb squad over. The guy from the bomb squad laughed, looked at me and said, “scuba diver?” I said yes. He said, “camera batteries?” I said yes again, he then said, “it’s fine, let him go.“ I took my batteries and went. That was the first check. Made it through several more checks until the 3rd and final check in Cairo where they took almost all of my batteries and said i could bring 2. Fortunately, they didn’t really watch me and I kept most of the batteries. I think they intentionally looked the other way, My friends who went through security before me were quite concerned in Cairo. I believe their website says to actually check in your lithium batteries in your baggage.

Thanks for the reply. Interesting to hear, esp most airlines want the Li batteries in carry-on.

This is part of my stash, almost dont want to bring the better cells to avoid losing them.

I wonder if anyone tried to slip a few EGP bills in these cases sometimes works in SE Asia though I hadn't tried.

Attachments

• 20211118_172727.jpg
    20211118_172727.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 54
[...] Hurghada [...] and then they called the bomb squad over. The guy from the bomb squad laughed, looked at me and said, “scuba diver?” I said yes. He said, “camera batteries?” I said yes again, he then said, “it’s fine, let him go.“[...]
Can confirm. Sounds strange but the guys from the bomb squad are by far more relaxed and familiar with this kind of things than the one that are checking your luggage.
One of the few occasion where "calling the bomb squad" is something positive.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom