Egypt Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That´s just not correct!
1 - she is with CBS News
2 - she was not gang raped! She was stripped and beaten and then rescued by other protesters (women!) and army personal. It happened right on Tahrir square.
3 - That was 4 weeks ago!!!

That should of course not be any kind of excuse of what happened, but it´s been long ago and Egypt is in no way dangerous to foreigners anymore - if it ever was. You will find similar assaults in any major city on this planet if you search the news. NYC is propably more dangerous at any given day than any place in Egypt.

1. CBS, oh yeah. I was thinking of Anderson Cooper who was also assaulted several times during a broadcast in Cairo.

2. Abducted by a group of men, and a prolonged sexual assault. Interpret that as you will.

I agree alot of major cities have high crime rates with shootings, murder etc being commonplace. I think with Egypt the latest occurences are serving as a tipping point in the lack of confidence people have when coupled with hotel bombs in Sharm el Sheikh and Dahab, and tourists killed recently in Coptic Christian church in Alexandria.

I love the diving there, it's the best I've experienced anywhere in the world. Ive tried reasoning but have been unsuccessful thus far.

I agree alot of major cities have high crime rates with shootings, murder etc being commonplace. I think with Egypt the latest occurences are serving as a tipping point in the lack of confidence people have when coupled with hotel bombs in Sharm el Sheikh and Dahab, and tourists killed recently in Coptic Christian church in Alexandria.
Oh, c´mon...
Do you also stop using trains in Spain or the Underground in London?
Or will you never again enter any skyscraper in New York?
What about visiting a disco in Berlin?
In all these places bombs have gone of and people have been killed by terrorists.

And Sharm was 2005, Dahab 2006! That is not even remotely relevant so many years later. It´s not like there are bombs going off in egyptian tourist resorts on a regular basis.

I really don´t like painting Egypt and especially the tourism areas as potentially more dangerous than many other places in the world. In these days you will nowhere find absolute safety - not even in your hometown. Crazies live and can strike everywhere at any time. That is unfortunately a reality nowadays. It is statements like yours that, when spread and not refuted, cause heavy damage to the tourism sector and to the people here! I absolutely respect anybodys decision to not vacation at a certain place, but please be objective about it!

Oh, c´mon...
In all these places bombs have gone of and people have been killed by terrorists.

And Sharm was 2005, Dahab 2006! That is not even remotely relevant so many years later. It´s not like there are bombs going off in egyptian tourist resorts on a regular basis.

I really don´t like painting Egypt and especially the tourism areas as potentially more dangerous than many other places in the world. In these days you will nowhere find absolute safety - not even in your hometown. Crazies live and can strike everywhere at any time. That is unfortunately a reality nowadays. It is statements like yours that, when spread and not refuted, cause heavy damage to the tourism sector and to the people here! I absolutely respect anybodys decision to not vacation at a certain place, but please be objective about it!

Hmm, funny the only hotels in the world I've stayed in with crash barriers in front of them to stop suicide bombers driving cars at them, the only hotels Ive been to with metal detectors, the only resorts I've stayed in where tourists were the primary target of terrorist attacks were all in Egypt. And I'm relatively well travelled.

But maybe I'm misguided and not being objective. But how about every Department of Foreign Affairs urging extreme caution when visiting Egypt. Are they all completely misguided also? And why aren't these warnings in place for London, New York, Berlin?

Hmm, funny the only hotels in the world I've stayed in with crash barriers in front of them to stop suicide bombers driving cars at them, the only hotels Ive been to with metal detectors, the only resorts I've stayed in where tourists were the primary target of terrorist attacks were all in Egypt. And I'm relatively well travelled.

But maybe I'm misguided and not being objective. But how about every Department of Foreign Affairs urging extreme caution when visiting Egypt. Are they all completely misguided also? And why aren't these warnings in place for London, New York, Berlin?

Ever been to Mumbai??
I think any "serious" hotel that has been the target, or potential target has these security measures....
I am sure it is like that in Indonesia also.
I am VERY well travelled, and I have seen this at many places... NOT just egypt...

Oh, c´mon...

I think he should also avoid diving as there are many dive fatalities occurring !!

I think if you have that much doubts and worry you should keep safe at home... but take care not to wander around after 9 pm as I know for sure it is not that safe in the states !

I think he should also avoid diving as there are many dive fatalities occurring !!

I think if you have that much doubts and worry you should keep safe at home... but take care not to wander around after 9 pm as I know for sure it is not that safe in the states !

You are correct about diving, it is statistically quite a dangerous sport. However, I dont try to cover up this fact or brush it off with cheap put downs - to do so would be the height off ignorance.

I am sorry but who is covering what?

YOUR department of foreign affairs is telling you to take extreme caution, nice and it is their role... however when people living here and working in Egypt (Egyptians and foreigners) and even visitors in the past period are saying that things are not that bad and even not different than any other time .... which is their testimony and personal experience .... they are covering up?

I advise you to follow your country's recommendation ... we should always listen to wiser people.

Hmm seems this is getting a bit less than peaceful, after which people start shouting, then throwing stones, then molotov cocktails and finally shooting each other with big guns....

So some objective comments. Sharm and Dahab were indeed bombed in 2005/2006 - as have many other, much more important, world capitals. We are situated in a highly volatile region of the planet, even if Egypt remains stable, other neighbouring countries are throwing mortars at each other on a regular basis. It's nice that security was beefed up after the bombings, but even the most security-conscious country on the planet couldn't stop some planes from being flown into their skyscrapers. It's also worth mentioning that there are plenty of schools in certain parts of America that have metal detectors on their doors. Schools. For kids.

Diving, statistically, is a very safe pastime indeed, (Solly was, I feel, being sarcastic) although some people class it as dangerous because sometimes, people die. People also regularly die on the toilet, or choke to death on their lunch, however bowel movements and dinner dates are, to my knowledge, not classed as life-threatening activities.

Throughout all the troubles, The tourist resorts, especially those on the Eastern side of Sinai, remained extra-ordinarily quiet and free of mayhem - and there are historical and political reasons which add to this fact - for further information I would invite folks to read my articles in the last two editions of the Equalizer, or look through some of my previous posts on this forum.

I live here - and I'd rather wander around the streets of Sharm at night than certain places in London, LA, New York, Berlin, Prague, Moscow, Bangkok...pick a city. Apart from having to take evasive action to avoid maniacal bus drivers, I've never once felt threatened or unsafe.

Maybe some bombs will go off here again one day; maybe some people might be bitten by sharks (or triggerfish, more likely); perhaps some people will die whilst they are diving in the Red Sea, but I will take my chances, knowing that I am far safer here than I would be trying to cross a street in certain downtown parts of Manchester late at night.

Any advice saying that Egypt is a dangerous place to be at the moment is - quite simply - wrong. I like to hope it will stay that way.

Stay safe, whatever you're doing (even if that's pooping)

C.

Hmm seems this is getting a bit less than peaceful, after which people start shouting, then throwing stones, then molotov cocktails and finally shooting each other with big guns....

don't worry, I am out of ammo, all finished withing the revolution

Diving, statistically, is a very safe pastime indeed, (Solly was, I feel, being sarcastic) although some people class it as dangerous because sometimes, people die. People also regularly die on the toilet, or choke to death on their lunch, however bowel movements and dinner dates are, to my knowledge, not classed as life-threatening activities.

For sure I was sarcastic. :eyebrow:

Apart from having to take evasive action to avoid maniacal bus drivers, I've never once felt threatened or unsafe.

I thought you get sort of training about that when applying for a visa :D

Any advice saying that Egypt is a dangerous place to be at the moment is - quite simply - wrong. I like to hope it will stay that way.

Thank you !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom