Egmont reef ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has any body been to Egmont reef lately. Thought about taking the beach buggy to Egmont and on the way back taking a dip. Viz, curent, growth, and if theres anything worth looking at ?

About 1nm. from the south tip of Egmont key... Lat 27 35.00 Lon.82 44.60.. Max 25ft. dept on dept finder.. Fished it a few times but never dove it.. So just wondering about growth, current, weather to take a camera or a speargun ?

Sounds neat. I've obviously never dove it, but I'd like to hear how you make out and what you find when you dive it.

Have not dove the site yet, but definitely interested in doing so... Recent fishing reports have lots of tarpon (dinners) and sharks (diners) in the area, so this may not be the optimal time to dive that particular area.

There is a cool underwater video of Egmont Key Artificial Reef posted on the Hillsborough County EPC website - Artificial Reefs

A while back, the St. Pete Times published an article that has a bit more information - Sports: Daily fishing report

Finally, if you do not already have the numbers, the FWC has posted location coordinates for many of the reef features on their website - Artificial Reefs

Thanks: Just found the vid. Ive fished it a couple of time and nailed plenty of snapper, seen the structure wich is pretty large area on the bottom machine, but never jumped in. I gues this week end sounds like as good as time as any.

Seeing as the reef is East of Egmont key this would make a nice dive on a day that the gulf was a little too ruff. On the other hand, I imagine the visibility isn't too good unless you catch it on an incoming tide. Either way thanks GTD for mentioning it. I didn't even know it was there until this thread popped up.

That's a nice video. Those rocks are part of the old fort DeSoto.

The reef is a different place.

i have a couple of better ones but you tube keeps erroring out when I try to upload them. Where is the reef at? I am new to diving and looking to get in as much water as I can. I see you are in st pete too

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom