Eglin/Hurlburt area military divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Grumby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am currently an active duty E-7, stationed at Eglin on the 33rd side of base. I would love to hear from any others that want to dive and have similar backgrounds.

I am trying to compile a good listing of all the local divers (Eglin/Hurlburt/Duke) that are working on base. The goal is to find out how many SB members are actually stationed here on the Emerald Coast. If you are interested in networking for dive trips and dive buddies, please touch base with me. You can reply to this thread or you can PM me.

(To be fair and civic-minded, I will not exclude any non-military types in the area who would also like to get on this list, so please feel free to respond as well.)

Call MWR or go to

http://members.cox.net/eyc23/dive.htm

Eglin has an active dive club associated with the yacht club. Also, at the Scuba Shop on Miracle Strip Parkway you can meet Garry Howland. Garry was on the original NAUI Board of Directors. He was involved with Ralph Erickson and John Cronin when they formed PADI. Do a Google search on him or go to
http://www.divinghistory.com/bio-garryhowland.htm

Garry is retired Air Force and will talk your ears off with interesting tales. Dive with military folks but don't leave out active divers like SuprBugMan and SeaYoda who have a wealth of information and experience along the coast and are absoutely fantastic fellows.

Here in Montgomery we have Rick Murchison (Ret Navy) and me (Retired Air Force) among others.....

Gary Howland sold the Scuba Shop. I don't believe he ever goes into the shop since he sold it. I do know though that one of the owners is married to a nice fellow in the Air Force.

E-4 stationed at Hurlburt (MH53 side) always looking for a dive. Just purchased some thermal gear and can’t wait to get back into the water (last dive was Dec 15). I’m new at the hobby (15 dives) but I have all of my own gear and ready to roll out whenever.

I'm stationed and live here on Eglin. Also work very extensivly with the dive club here on Eglin. Am always up for a dive when my hectic work scheduale permits. But can deffintly help you out with some of the spots here locally.

Hey everyone,
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. Knight and Dzer0, hopefully we can "get wet" sometime soon. With my work schedule, it looks like the soonest I can look at is mid-late Jan. There is going to be a Spring Dive in the near future, so stay alert for the announcement.
Tom Smedley, thank you for the info. Unfortunantly, the link you posted at Cox.net is over three years old. I am trying to get something a bit more current. I spoke extensively with Robert Hyde and he is in the process of getting out a more up-to-date list.
The Eglin Dive Flight is planning a Keys trip in mid-April. I am looking forward to that. If anyone else is interested, make sure you contact Robert and let him know.

Robert's a good guy and preaty much runs the dive flight on Eglin. I work for him as a DM.

kchFLA:
Gary Howland sold the Scuba Shop. I don't believe he ever goes into the shop since he sold it. I do know though that one of the owners is married to a nice fellow in the Air Force.
I miss Gary... but sadly, you are correct.. last I heard, his health is not good.

Last time I talked with him was at DEMA Houston. He was really feeble two years ago so I can imagine he has problems getting around. Sat outside the DEMA Party with him and Ralph Erickson while we listened to Leslie Nielsen on stage. Ralph has since passed away.

The stories these two could tell. God I wish they could live forever!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom