Egg Spirals ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where was the photo taken? Fresh or salt water? Can you give us a little more info on the context of the photo?
Cool! They look like eggs to me, (esp cause they're pink) but they could also be some sorta squidgy fishy thing, too. I am looking forward to hearing the experts chime in on this one!

it kind of looks like unattached tunicate

SueMermaid:
Where was the photo taken? Fresh or salt water? Can you give us a little more info on the context of the photo?
Cool! They look like eggs to me, (esp cause they're pink) but they could also be some sorta squidgy fishy thing, too. I am looking forward to hearing the experts chime in on this one!
Sue, the pictures were taken off the coast of East Timor.

I'll go with eggs. Beats me what did it, but judging from the size of the mass in comparison to that floating piece of Turbinaria, it was something large. Probably a mollusc.

A "Wonderful Wonder," yes?
Every time I get to thinking I know a little about the ocean and it's critters something like this comes along to remind me that what we don't know about 'em all... is a lot!
Rick

You took the words right outta my mouth Rick. :)

It's an egg mass from an open ocean squid. It's a gelatinous sac, with the eggs embedded in the inside surface.

There's a picture almost exactly like that in Mark Norman's Cephalapods: A World Guide.

maractwin:
It's an egg mass from an open ocean squid. It's a gelatinous sac, with the eggs embedded in the inside surface.

There's a picture almost exactly like that in Mark Norman's Cephalapods: A World Guide.

What group of squids does the Guide say these things belong to? "Open Ocean Squid" is pretty broad.

Back
Top Bottom