Egg Island and Never Fail 6/27 dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fencingfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yesterday I went out with Cape Ann Divers to Egg Island and Never Fail Ledge. We were supposed to do Paddock Rock and Egg but the current was ripping so we chose more sheltered dive spots.

Egg Island vis was pretty terrible 10-12'. Surface temperature at the dock was around 60 degrees F and 52 at depth. My buddy and I went down to the boulders but the current had kicked up all the silt so we spent most of the dive in the more sandy areas where vis was better. Nothing too exciting to see, some skates and some small-ish lobsters and pollock. Max depth was 51 in the sandy area and dive time was 42 minutes. Current was definitely pulling at us, but it wasn't too bad.

For the second dive we went back to Paddock but even though the tide was coming in, the current hadn't let up any. We went over to Never Fail Ledge instead. I had never dove there before. What a beautiful dive site! We picked up another buddy who's buddy from the first dive was having equipment issues. Vis was better here, between 17-22' with much less current. I led the dive, heading south along the wall until one of my buddies hit half a tank and was feeling cold so we headed back. We could have easily gone down to 70' or so, but we kept between 35' and 50' to avoid the thermocline. I saw a mutant 6-armed sea star and a HUGE lobster as well as a small scallop, a tautog, and a wall of frilled anemones (photos attached). Dive time time was only 35 minutes as buddy #1 used up most of his tank swimming circles above us trying to find warmer waters. There were some communication issues toward the end of the dive when buddy #1 indicated we should go up b/c he was cold and getting low and buddy #2 mistook his "I'm cold" gesture for a regulator problem or being out of air but everyone was fine and we surfaced with no issues.

I took my camera and was a little nervous about it after a flooding mishap in May but it worked fine and I got a couple of good pics. Weather was great for the first dive and a half. It was foggy leaving the harbor, but cleared by the time we got out. Sometime during the second dive the fog rolled back in and completely obscured everything. It was a great charter and two really awesome dives! I will definitely dive with Cape Ann Divers again.

Attachments

• IMG_9099.jpg
    IMG_9099.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_9103.jpg
    IMG_9103.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_9109.jpg
    IMG_9109.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 68
The few people lobstering were having great luck at never fail. Couple of small ones at egg, but the second dive definitely was the better spot for lobstering.

Nice pics. Is that a second smaller lobster I see below Never Fail Lobzilla? My son and I are going out with Cape Ann Friday and hoping to "see" some invertebrates!!

Bob

Glad the camera is back in action. Looking forward to more pics. I couldn't help notice what was that red thing on the left "tearing" claw of the Lobzilla? It looks like something plastic. Is it a tag?

It is an armband tag. I couldn't read the numbers since he wouldn't come out and play. It's 85(8?)something. Anyone know what organization tags the giant lobsters? It would be cool to report a lobster find and see what kind of tracking data they have for these behemoths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom