Efficient path to tec trimix instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry now I think you are missing a smily face.
100 dives to 100 meters would not be enough for a full trimix instructor acording to your standards?

100 dives to 100 meters would not be enough for a full trimix instructor acording to your standards?
Read my post again. The 100 was the sum of all the technical experience, not just 100m dives. And they are not standards, they are my preferences.

I can only state for myself , it took me 35 + years of teaching to get to where I am , I progressed gaining experience and taking courses from experienced instructor trainers ,(at least 8 that I can remember ) I would hope I learned a few things along the way , being told from some one who has thousands less dives than myself and has an advanced open water cert really doesn't mean anything to me , im proud of all the courses and dives I have , I have never been told I run not up to snuff courses (that's why I have a money back guarantee . not bragging just stating , are there better instructor ? of course there is I don't teach minimum quality never will. does there have to be a min ? but does it have to stay that way ? NO

Folks...

Successfully passing any ''minimum level'' acceptable standard in anything...has absolutely nothing to do with a minimum level of quality of the instruction...

Somebody once said to me...I wouldn't use ''that'' instructor to teach a dog how to do the dog paddle...

That statement had nothing to do with a ''minimum acceptable standard''...but everything to do with the quality of the delivery of the subject matter being instructed...

Learning well is every bit as important as being instructed well...

In this industry...it is as beneficial to a student to review beforehand...the instructor course guideline as it is to fully comprehend the student guideline...

Instructor/student is a very personal relationship where both parties have to fully commit to one another....it's every bit as much the responsibility of the student to stop the instructor when there is as comprehension problem as it is the responsibility of the instructor to ensure that the ''full'' program is delivered with no short-cuts and also to ensure full student comprehension at all times...

The more advanced the course...the more important the instructor/student relationship is...especially if the relationship between the two is more than a ''one of''...

I've always had good instructors...I shouldn't have to follow that statement by saying ''I've been lucky''...good instruction should never have anything to do with luck...

Best...

Warren

Sadly not, but seems easy enough to load of a keg of sorb and a few o2 bottles to go with my breather and ask him to toss me over the side of a boat and not forget about me in a few hours.

I do think that's a great angle. Developing infrastructure to support tec diving would be an excellent step towards his idea. Being an instructor is great for making predivers into divers...

But might be better to lure in experienced tec divers for a while before offering training.

Cameron

You can get sorb, oxygen and helium in Belize. Belize Diving Services on Caye Caulker is a full service tech operation. Plus there's a gorgeous cave about 300 yards from their dock.

Or mine...
You simply won't have the experience of everything that can, might and eventually WILL go wrong.

I had well over 1000 hours beyond 200' before a student went catatonic on a trimix class. This was for my Trimix Instructor rating. I thought the IT set it up. You better have your crap down rock solid if you're going to save a life at 200'.

I've had a student plummet to over 100' deeper than planned depth. I had to go get him. 100 Dives is not enough to quickly and accurately consider the different courses of actions and consequences of those actions.

Teaching is super easy when everything goes right.

well said superlyte27

I find it funny that what is really being talked about is essentially, that a better instructor is someone with the experience of X+ dives with multiple screw-ups, aka "lessons learned" that they can pass onto students. Along with the knowledge of how to recover from said screw-ups or a students mistakes. So, it is less about having experience/knowledge about the tech material and more about having experience with applicable rescue & recovery at those depths, along with recognizing the various signs of something starting to go wrong.

So, in the end it has less to do with the theory and lessons learned from others that can be passed on by a good instructor and more to do with the applicable knowledge to act as a Safety Diver during the dives. Which requires the experience of a larger number of dives, solely so they have the opportunity for statistics to play out and incur real-world experience with rescue of fellow divers at those depths.

To that end, a strong rec instructor would also have much of that knowledge already. Whether its reacting to stupid mistakes made by OW/AOW students or having to chase down divers during rec deep dive training. Since, they have that foundation already would you not be just adding some new knowledge and a few new concerns as you add new gas mixes and the concerns that come with them? Along with a new set of steps for return to surface?

Just a different perspective, from a rec diver with limited knowledge about tec diving.

No, not really. The dive where the student plummeted, I had 6 tanks on me, he had 6 on him. He didn't even realize he was sinking rapidly. Any idea how hard it is to manage all that with a runaway descent?

His suit had no lift. He wasn't holding the inflator, he was breathing the wrong gas. Our tables were blown. Did we have enough gas to deco on? Would I reach him before vastly blowing the MOD of my deepest bottle. Would he fight me when I reached him? (I've had this happen). You have to make a split second decision and react immediately all the while not compounding the problem, while managing a buttload of gear.

You wonder why student death is climbing? I'd contend instructors arenta prepared for the worst. They're prepared for the best.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom