Efficient path to tec trimix instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

did you visit any of these potential sites with him?

Sadly not, but seems easy enough to load of a keg of sorb and a few o2 bottles to go with my breather and ask him to toss me over the side of a boat and not forget about me in a few hours.

I do think that's a great angle. Developing infrastructure to support tec diving would be an excellent step towards his idea. Being an instructor is great for making predivers into divers...

But might be better to lure in experienced tec divers for a while before offering training.

Cameron

But might be better to lure in experienced tec divers for a while before offering training.

Absolutely! If the dives and infrastructure aren't there it doesnt matter his instructor cred, it wont work.

I do think that's a great angle. Developing infrastructure to support tec diving would be an excellent step towards his idea. Being an instructor is great for making predivers into divers...

Cameron

Exactly. And, if he is a really sharp cookie, he could develop the infrastructure and work on luring a good tech Instructor Trainer to come there (possibly part-time) and teach tech for him while also training him to be a tech instructor himself, at some point. Maybe even get said IT to sign a non-compete so that he doesn't finance all this tech market development and then have the IT quit working for him and take over the very training market that this guy is wanting to build for himself. I don't know. That might be a little too ambitious, but who knows.

I think if he is doing this as an investment he would need to look at the market first. What is there to see in the tec range there? Anything special to draw customers? Just going deep for the depth? I don't think there will be a large market if there isn't something special there to see. Helium is expensive and in remote locations it is astronomically expensive. This will make a small demand even smaller. If there were shallow caves in the area and he could get the permits to explore them then I believe there very well could be a good market for that. Toddy gets an incredible amount of money for people to go to Mexico, camp in the jungle and lay a little line. I think there would need to be something to see to draw people in first.

A few months of active diving, a couple of good IT-s (good to get multiple instructors just to get a new perspective) and a bucket of money. He will also need a way to find new students in a reasonable amount of time to fullfill standards between his courses.

I'm not sure why do people need decades of experience for something as simple as tec training.

He is hoping the tourism market
will support tec diving in his area and wants to be the first before he gets too old.
This is obstacle 1: being a tech instructor takes time to gain experience. By the time he's a good tech diver he will be some years further down the road.

He asked me how he could become a good tec instructor the most efficient way possible. His income goes to putting his daughter through med school. Time off work and time away from his younger children is costly.
Tech training is expensive and requires often travelling. I'am not sure he can fulfill these requirements based on this information? It's quite a hefty investment I'am afraid for this guy.

My advice would be: find a partner that is qualified to teach tech. Cheapest and most economical solution. Provide a base for tech divers (meaning gasses, compressor, boat, sorb and what ever is needed for tech diving) and earn money from offering the facilities in stead of trying to become a tech instructor on short notice.

I'm not sure why do people need decades of experience for something as simple as tec training.
This needs a smiley or something to indicate extreme tongue-in-cheek and sarcasm, especially if teaching is an ultimate goal.

Not really, I was serious.

I don't see why would a Trimix instructor need decades of diving experience to be a good instructor, especially considering that a trimix diver 10 years ago looked and acted a lot differently then trimix diver today.
He is not asking to become a dive guru but a Trimix instructor. That means what, 300 pages of theory and 50 dives for minimum requierments by PADI?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom