Eel vs. Face .....any information?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

your absolutley correct I get a little defensive when the name calling starts. And your right about interacting with animals as being irresponsible, inyour opinion. Your also correct that I don't need to include my bio on every thread. Your also correct that eels make defensive strikes. Heck I don't know of anything your not 100% correct about. But back to the original point Eels crawling up divers BC's and ripping their faces off probably isn't happening as often as we might think. I was merely trying to point out that Eels like other animals are often mistaken to be more dangerous than reality. And that some people have been able to safely interact with these animals and in some ways have had a positive experience or impact on diving and divers. Stingray City, Caymans, Shark Ray alley, Belize, AKR Roatan (dolphins), Bonaire Dee Scarr "touch the sea" Bahamas shark experiences-Keys-Capt. Slate-Barracudas, Australia-potatoe cod etc. etc. Keep in mind I said that the animals that I have interacted with were capable of swimming away, and had full defensive abilities. Eels themselves will try to swim away and hide long before they bite, their natural defense is hiding in their holes by day and coming out at night to hunt. I don't stick my arm in their holes and I have spent quite a bit of time studying their behaviour. JMHO

eels have very poor eye sight and in my limited experience they only attack if threatened ie cornered or mistaking you for food. There was an inicident posted herer a while ago about two divers spear fishing on a wreck and a moray swam out of its hole and bit one of them, probably mistaking them for the speared fish

Michael Schlink:
your absolutley correct I get a little defensive when the name calling starts. And your right about interacting with animals as being irresponsible, inyour opinion. Your also correct that I don't need to include my bio on every thread. Your also correct that eels make defensive strikes. Heck I don't know of anything your not 100% correct about. But back to the original point Eels crawling up divers BC's and ripping their faces off probably isn't happening as often as we might think. I was merely trying to point out that Eels like other animals are often mistaken to be more dangerous than reality. And that some people have been able to safely interact with these animals and in some ways have had a positive experience or impact on diving and divers. Stingray City, Caymans, Shark Ray alley, Belize, AKR Roatan (dolphins), Bonaire Dee Scarr "touch the sea" Bahamas shark experiences-Keys-Capt. Slate-Barracudas, Australia-potatoe cod etc. etc. Keep in mind I said that the animals that I have interacted with were capable of swimming away, and had full defensive abilities. Eels themselves will try to swim away and hide long before they bite, their natural defense is hiding in their holes by day and coming out at night to hunt. I don't stick my arm in their holes and I have spent quite a bit of time studying their behaviour. JMHO

Mike,

The Dr Doolittle crack was ment to be funny, just to get a laugh. Hence the smiley face that followed to let you know it was tongue in cheek, get it?. I'm sorry if you got offended, but I'm really glad we both agree that I'm 100% correct on everything...:) Chill out dude!!!

i heard that petting eels too much can lead to blindness... :wink:

Stivo:
i heard that petting eels to much can lead to blindness... :wink:

And impotency...:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom