Eel vs. Face .....any information?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quick story:

Was working as a DM in honolulu- my first resort gig. One of the instructors turns up with bandages on saying that he was bitten by 2 moray's. I of course asked what happened and he proceeded to tell me that he was "coaxing" a moray out of his little hideaway to show the guys he was bringin on a dive...then a second moray saw this guys hand under the first eel and must've thought the arm was food- BANG Moray number two goes for Instructor's hand, then the first moray joins in... :11: nibble nibble nibble...

3 months later he still had bandages on- all for the sake of a $10 tip...

correct me if im wrong...but thats just stoooooopid....:classic:

Actually...the Lou Gossett in The Deep scene is good info...you may recall that the moray left Jackie Bissett and Nick Nolte alone when they swam past. Mr. Gossett had his HEAD jammed in the hole at the end of the movie, and held there until the moray got cranky and...

Morays are near sighted, so will bite waving fingers etc by mistake. If you do not dangle anything in front of them, or aggressively provoke them, they will not attack you...

Ken

widebody50:
Southern California.

Third-hand story at work about a woman who was bitten in the face by an eel, and required 100+ stitches. Can anyone shed any light on this one? It is reported that she was taking photos and was distracted, and the eel (moray?) came up her body and in front of her face, and she panicked and screemed (???)...and then CHOMP!

Not trying to be an alarmist, or gossip-monger...just trying to get a feel for wildlife behavoir.

Sounds like a defensive strike to me. The eel was just being curious but because of her reaction it felt threatened and struck. JMHO.

Scuba_freak:
quick story:

Was working as a DM in honolulu- my first resort gig. One of the instructors turns up with bandages on saying that he was bitten by 2 moray's. I of course asked what happened and he proceeded to tell me that he was "coaxing" a moray out of his little hideaway to show the guys he was bringin on a dive...then a second moray saw this guys hand under the first eel and must've thought the arm was food- BANG Moray number two goes for Instructor's hand, then the first moray joins in... :11: nibble nibble nibble...

3 months later he still had bandages on- all for the sake of a $10 tip...

correct me if im wrong...but thats just stoooooopid....:classic:

Now if he had just talked like that guy on the Croc Hunter... "right, we got our selves a right beauty here... he's a randy little bugger...crikey! he took my thumb off!"

hopefully they tipped at least 15 dollars for the extra effort.

knives:
You really have to try hard to go out of your way and get bit. Let's try and not paint the eel as evil here. :wink:

Yeah we don't need anymore sensationalistic movies about man-eating aquatic life as well as misleading Discovery Channel specials :11:

Ok here goes nothing. I have been "petting" moray eels for years. They like it. I have the video to prove it. You do need to know how. I have video of the eels actually "rolling" their heads back and forth as I scratch their chins. They don't like the top of their heads being stroked. I have done this with "wild" eels IE: not the petting zoo ones that are fed daily by "divemasters" I wouldn't suggest that divers do this because it's hard to find a tame practice eel. But a breif explanation is this; 1) slowly move a none gloved hand, palm down, towards the eel's mouth 2) let the eel "smell" your hand like a dog 3) leave your hand there long enough for the eel to get used to it 4) SLOWLY roll your hand over and let the eel lay his/her head in your hand. 5) very slowly and gently pet or rub the eels chin 6) Eels don't bite for defense, the bite to eat, they eat at night so don't do this at night. If they pull back or act aggitated leave them alone.
I have similar experiences with Octopuses, Squid and Cuttlefish- I make sure that the animal is never cornered and it's means of defense and escape are ever present Just two weeks ago, in Bonaire I had a squid move to my open hand and almost lay down in the palm of my hand.(Pictures to prove it) I could feel the siphon, at anytime this sqiud could have easily moved away, and with 5 witnesses the squid came to me. I didn't chase it or corner it and it could always just swim away-Now I know what alot of you are going to say, I've heard it before. Anybody that wants to claim B.S. get your money out, I'll bet 10-1

As far as everyones opinion regarding interaction well that's a "whole 'nother thread"

Michael Schlink:
Ok here goes nothing. I have been "petting" moray eels for years. They like it. I have the video to prove it. You do need to know how. I have video of the eels actually "rolling" their heads back and forth as I scratch their chins. They don't like the top of their heads being stroked. I have done this with "wild" eels IE: not the petting zoo ones that are fed daily by "divemasters" I wouldn't suggest that divers do this because it's hard to find a tame practice eel. But a breif explanation is this; 1) slowly move a none gloved hand, palm down, towards the eel's mouth 2) let the eel "smell" your hand like a dog 3) leave your hand there long enough for the eel to get used to it 4) SLOWLY roll your hand over and let the eel lay his/her head in your hand. 5) very slowly and gently pet or rub the eels chin 6) Eels don't bite for defense, the bite to eat, they eat at night so don't do this at night. If they pull back or act aggitated leave them alone.
I have similar experiences with Octopuses, Squid and Cuttlefish- I make sure that the animal is never cornered and it's means of defense and escape are ever present Just two weeks ago, in Bonaire I had a squid move to my open hand and almost lay down in the palm of my hand.(Pictures to prove it) I could feel the siphon, at anytime this sqiud could have easily moved away, and with 5 witnesses the squid came to me. I didn't chase it or corner it and it could always just swim away-Now I know what alot of you are going to say, I've heard it before. Anybody that wants to claim B.S. get your money out, I'll bet 10-1

As far as everyones opinion regarding interaction well that's a "whole 'nother thread"

Have to disagree with you there, Dr Doolittle.:) Stick your arm in a crevice where a Moray is hiding and see if it doesn't bite. And it won't be because it's hungry.

Divenut, didn't say anything about putting arm in crevace. But as I said it's not a agree or disagree. I have video and pictures to prove it. Just put up the cash and I'll put my money where my keyboard is, same deal 10 to 1. You put up $100 and I'll put up $1000 you watch the video, look at the pictures and I get your $100. Cozumel, Caymans, Belize, Roatan, Bonaire, Palau, Yap, Indonesia, S.Florida, Gulf, Atlantic, So Cal, 20 years of diving. I have not figured out how to talk to the "critters" so I'll leave that to the real Dr. Doolittle. I'm not kidding. I, along with many other people believe that certain types of interaction can be positive. Dee Scarr has been around a long time. It's also not for everyone and I understand that many have a don't touch philosophy. BUT in response to the original post, Eels have lots of sharp teeth, keep your body parts out of their mouths.

Michael Schlink:
Divenut, didn't say anything about putting arm in crevace. But as I said it's not a agree or disagree. I have video and pictures to prove it. Just put up the cash and I'll put my money where my keyboard is, same deal 10 to 1. You put up $100 and I'll put up $1000 you watch the video, look at the pictures and I get your $100. Cozumel, Caymans, Belize, Roatan, Bonaire, Palau, Yap, Indonesia, S.Florida, Gulf, Atlantic, So Cal, 20 years of diving. I have not figured out how to talk to the "critters" so I'll leave that to the real Dr. Doolittle. I'm not kidding. I, along with many other people believe that certain types of interaction can be positive. Dee Scarr has been around a long time. It's also not for everyone and I understand that many have a don't touch philosophy. BUT in response to the original post, Eels have lots of sharp teeth, keep your body parts out of their mouths.

No need to get all defensive Mike. I believe you when you say you have been able to physically interact with the animals, as irresponsible as that may be. I won't get into a debate with you on that because that belongs on another thread. But when you say that eels don't make defensive strikes you are WRONG!!!! WRONG!!! WRONG!!!

There's also no need to include your bio on every post to try and impress everyone. If anyone is really interested, they click on it to read it.

Back
Top Bottom