Eel vs. Face .....any information?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

widebody50

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California.

Third-hand story at work about a woman who was bitten in the face by an eel, and required 100+ stitches. Can anyone shed any light on this one? It is reported that she was taking photos and was distracted, and the eel (moray?) came up her body and in front of her face, and she panicked and screemed (???)...and then CHOMP!

Not trying to be an alarmist, or gossip-monger...just trying to get a feel for wildlife behavoir.

widebody50:
Southern California.

Third-hand story at work about a woman who was bitten in the face by an eel, and required 100+ stitches. Can anyone shed any light on this one? It is reported that she was taking photos and was distracted, and the eel (moray?) came up her body and in front of her face, and she panicked and screemed (???)...and then CHOMP!

Not trying to be an alarmist, or gossip-monger...just trying to get a feel for wildlife behavoir.
Oh, yeah. I saw The Deep. Bad guy Lou Gosset Jr. got his face bit off by a giant morey.
Cool...

Rick Inman:
Oh, yeah. I saw The Deep. Bad guy Lou Gosset Jr. got his face bit off by a giant morey.
Cool...

funny man.........

The only time I have seen an eel get agressive is when somebody poked their finger into it's hiding hole. Even then, it was more interested in showing off it's big teeth than coming out of it's hole.

Is it true that a lot of times you can pet them? I remember hearing that one time as a kid from a family friend of ours who dove quite frequently.

medic_diver45:
Is it true that a lot of times you can pet them? I remember hearing that one time as a kid from a family friend of ours who dove quite frequently.

A lot of times you can pet stray dogs too... that doesn't make it a good idea. Even if an eel tolerates it to the point of not biting you, it puts unnecessary stress on the animal.

Most likely, eels that allow petting are doing so because they have gotten used to getting rewards from divers. If you don't provide the reward, they have little motivation to remain tolerant.

Best to keep a respectful distance regardless. You never know when something you do or something unrelated might trigger an agressive or defensive response. Weigh the relative risk/reward factors.

If I pet (or tease or threaten or chase etc.) a strange dog, and it bites me, that is MY FAULT, and I have no business complaining or suing. Same for eels.

W

widebody50:
Southern California.

Is this how it happened? (See avatar).

Sticking your face and hands in holes that don't have your name on the deed will get you bit if you aren't careful.

You really have to try hard to go out of your way and get bit. Let's try and not paint the eel as evil here. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom