Eel attack at Stingray City, Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't that the rule?

I am surprised that some divers would be, not only foolish, but completely disrespectful of these creatures. As I see it, we are guests.

REII:
That sounds pretty wild to me. I have gotten myself very close to Morays on many occassion Lobstering and I have never had a problem. Then again, i have never fed them. Maybe it is the association of the diver with food?

TOM
You can teach almost any animal to associate people with food. I once trained a large aquarium snail to beg. I'd tap glass with ring, he'd race to the top corner to get ready. I'd come back in 5 minutes and feed.

Simply feeding encourages aggressive behavior, too. I don't feed anymore, but did some when I was new. I wanted to attract angels for pics, but the triggers and cudas ran them off. One cuda followed me for 30 minutes. Some of my dumber times in the water.

I've seen a lot of morays hiding, but would not want to be around if anyone molested or fed one.

reminds me of my trip to the Similans. We did a night dive where there are some LARGE resident barracudas. According to the DM's, it seems they love night divers as our torches spotlight fish for the cudas. So we would be innocently piddling around in the dark looking for sleeping fish, etc, then flash your torch to your side and see this massive barracuda swimming right along you waiting for you to point out dinner for him!!!

Same nite dive, had a massive moray race down a wall inches away from without my knowing until the last minute as the other divers saw him and start flashing their light in my mask (I was too busy trying to snap pics of some small critter in the rocks). That was an eye opener.

I used to work at SRC for 2 years. In that time I saw about 3 people get stung by the rays and I never saw anyone get bit by the eels. Two of the three people that were stung were guides. I saw LOTS of people do crazy things to the eels and stingrays, and I was always amazed that more people weren’t injured.
Now as far as the guy who was bit goes it’s an ugly scene. Not really to much to do about that sort of thing other than immediate first aid and a trip to the ER for stitches.
When I worked there the DOE didn’t have a boat ready to go for emergencies. Response time would probably have been equal to the boat returning to the dock (which is what the captain should have done).
As far as reporting (media-wise) goes I can’t think of any reason why it would be reported on. Nobody died, no limbs were lost, the guy who was bit will be ok after some heal-time, after all it’s ‘just a flesh wound’. (not trying to be callous here)
The way to avoid being bit by an eel: Don’t touch it, grab it, or pull it’s tail. Most animals follow the simple ‘you leave me alone, I’ll leave you alone’ rule. While I wasn’t there and you didn’t say, I can imagine the situation perfectly. The guy grabbed the eel or harassed it in some other way. If he had not done that he’d have been ok, eels don’t bite unless they need to. Don’t worry about being attacked by a random animal, worry about the people you’re with doing something to provoke a response.

I'm in the camp of don't mess with the wildlife - Different environment but the example is worth remembering. We were up in Yellowstone 5 or so years ago and I was chatting with the Rangers. The subject was the Bison and stupid tourists. It seems the Bison do more damage to tourists now than the bears. (They quit feeding the bears in the 80's) Seems the Bison are big cows (more or less) to tourists doscile - (they are quite wild - trust me) -so the tourist walks up to an animal the size of a small mini-van with their camera and the Bison is busy eating - i.e. head down - so the tourist or an accomplice picks a up something to toss at the animal to get him to raise his head for the perfect shot. Now the Bison has a brain roughly the size of a walnut (give or take a few ounces) and thinks ow that hurt - what did that - raises his head and associates the first thing he sees with the pain. Same principle if he happens to get stung when you are standing in front of him. Those horns are really hard and do a lot of damage when being propelled by 1000+ lbs of angry Cow.

We are guests in their house - treat them with respect - take the pics they give you and be happy (and safe) BTW I love taking pics. Some days I get good subjects, some I don't - Other than occasional bee sting, I've never been assaulted by the wildlife (other than this past summer on a snorkling trip in Cancun where I discovered they regualarly feed the fish - one swam up behind be and tried to nibble on a finger of my trailing hand. - see the connection).

Lee

I have seen hundreds of morays and I beleive like everything esle in the sea they should net be bothered.

we are guests and should behave acordingly.

On a similar note, something from "The Onion" http://www.theonion.com/content/nod...utm_medium=Embedded+HTML&utm_campaign=Widgets

Scuba Diver Expressing Either Joy Or Terror
October 24, 2006 | Issue 42•43

KEY WEST, FL—Fellow scuba divers who witnessed Sam Gemitter's wild gesticulations, inaudible vocal noises, and bulging, wide-open eyes, remained unclear Monday if he was expressing either joy or terror at the sight of something he saw behind a giant coral reef. "He swam back to us pretty fast, but I didn't know if he was trying to get away from what he saw, or if he wanted us to come see," snorkeler Brian Celli said. "He was definitely excited one way or the other." As of press time, Gemitter had not returned his equipment to the scuba-rental booth, either because he is still enjoying the beauty of the ocean depths or is dead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom