Educate me please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jocull

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For Christmas I used the money the family gave me to buy myself a HOG D1 1st mated to 2 HOG seconds. I got a great deal from Tech diving unlimited. The hoses that come in the package for the seconds are 25" and 7' long. I am sure a 7' hose has some kind of technical diving application but only wearing technical gear but not being a technical diver, I don't understand this. Can some of you old salts or young salts for that matter edumacate me on the purpose of such a long hose? It seems like it would get tangled and be in the way a lot. Thanks fellow scuba boarders!

Very good in the workshop when adapted, for blowing off parts and things.

Can't help you with the long hose but I can help you with one other, Christmas hasn't come yet...

If you want... I'll trade you for a couple of normal length hoses :)

that was serious actually

it's for tech divers,

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers
Good explanation there. That being said, it's primarily for overhead environments. If you don't want it though, I will trade you for two sets of "normal" hose lengths

When used in an overhead environment, a 7' hose, in an air sharing situation, can allow the divers to pass through a restriction or tight spot single file. The hose, when stowed, typically comes from the 1st stage, down the right side of the body, usually looped under a canister light battery or knife on the belt or tucked into the belt to take up any slack (keep in everything neat, clean & streamlined), comes across the chest, over the left shoulder, around the back of the neck to the user's mouth. It is designed for donation of the primary regulator to an OOA diver. The back- up regulator is usually on a bungee'd on a necklace under the wear's chin for quick & easy access.

For Christmas I used the money the family gave me to buy myself a HOG D1 1st mated to 2 HOG seconds. I got a great deal from Tech diving unlimited. The hoses that come in the package for the seconds are 25" and 7' long. I am sure a 7' hose has some kind of technical diving application but only wearing technical gear but not being a technical diver, I don't understand this. Can some of you old salts or young salts for that matter edumacate me on the purpose of such a long hose? It seems like it would get tangled and be in the way a lot. Thanks fellow scuba boarders!

Christmas came early this year, I guess, or is this from last year?

Anyhow, others have now explained how the set up works, and you should try it. You'd probably be happier with a 5 ft long hose on the primary than the 7 ft. The 7 ft fits best when you have a big canister light on your waist belt to loop it under, and the extra length is for single file air-sharing in tight spots. For open water, you can use a 5 ft and still get the benefits of the long hose, which are much more comfortable and reliable air sharing, great comfort with the primary 2nd stage due to the long flexible hose, and very convenient location of your alternate.

If you don't want to bother, I'm certain there would be many people (like the sax guy) who would gladly trade you a set of standard (30" and 36"?) hoses for the 7 ft and 24".

You already have the set up so start using it and building up the skill sets and muscle memory for deploying and cleaning up! Stow it in your waist strap for now until you get a can light. Once you understand the benefits and techniques to the Long Hose/Short Hose you'll love it, we actually have a lot of our recreational divers in this config.

try to find an instructor/buddy in your area that understands this config that can work with you.

No pressure, but if my 9yrs old daughter can manage a 7' LH than I think you'll be able to do it!!!
Practice, Practice, Practice!

Handle and desire is different. I don't dive with a long hose unless i'm in overhead or diving deep where any sort of decompression could be needed etc. For playing around quarries and reefs and what not, I use short hoses. I've got shorter hoses, 22 and 28's or whatever. I've got oodles of them laying around

If you want... I'll trade you for a couple of normal length hoses :)

that was serious actually

it's for tech divers,

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers
Good explanation there. That being said, it's primarily for overhead environments. If you don't want it though, I will trade you for two sets of "normal" hose lengths

...I think recreational divers are allowed to use a 7' hose if they get the PADI "Long Hose" specialty though.......:)

Back
Top Bottom