Educate me, back inflating BC vs. Normal inflation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am actually in the market for a new BC and have been wondering about a BI. I have never used one. If I get one, I won't have time to use it before my next dive trip, which will be to Cozumel. I'm betting that none of you would recommend I just jump in on a drift dive in Coz for my first time with a BI, right? Would it be enough to just take it out on a shore dive my first day to learn it?

Your profile shows your fairly experienced. So what would you do if you had to rent a BC down there? You'd dive it if it were jacket or back inflate.

I'd be more concerned if you buy it, don't like it and then use it for a week. I guess you could e-Bay it.

One of the interesting things, to me, about this discussion (and the many others on the same topic) is that you will find many people who have switched from a Jacket BC to a Back Inflate. OTOH, you will find very few who have done the opposite.

In addition, there are a number of "professionals" who write that they use a Jacket BC while teaching (particularly in confined water) but use a Back Inflate in open water or for their personal use.

I think these observations speak volumes about which is actually preferable.

I think the whole thing of a BP/W or BI putting your face in the water is overblown bunk.

So I am a n00b and I tried my newly purchased BP/W this past weekend. I LOVED IT!! I did, at the very beginning, experience a little push forward at the surface. HOWEVER, 5 seconds later my body automatically adjusted, because after that initial time I felt no more push forward.

I would recommend the switch wholeheartedly. If I can do it without a problem, then for certain you can. Good luck with your decision. :)

From my experience this is true.

Your profile shows your fairly experienced. So what would you do if you had to rent a BC down there? You'd dive it if it were jacket or back inflate.

I've never been offered anything but a jacket BC when renting...if it happened for the first time at a dive shop before hopping on the boat, I'd ask the same question

ummm...yes; sounds like that's what I'd need to do
thanks to both of you that responded

Very interesting discussions. Sounds like it's all preference of course and for what one is going to be doing. Tech diving/cold water/two tanks, etc. I might just have to try one out. Thanks for all the inputs.

cheers,
Rob

Most Back inflate bcds that are back inflate/jacket style are far less bulky on the sides than a traditional stardard jacket bcd. Traditional bcs have to be bulky on the sides because the sides also contain air bladders that help the bouyancy of the bc.

Back inflate bcds are like bp/w setups except they are all one piece by design. instead of having a backplate, wing, harness, ect... you just have a bcd that is more convienient for the average sport diver. I have a bp/w because I planned on diving some wrecks and things where I would possibly use doubles, and/or carry reduntant air in the form of pony bottles. I found that the D-rings and webbing seemed more robust on the BP/w harness, in general.

I personally tried back inflate and bp/w setups before I bought a bc and I ended up with an apeks bp/w . I found it superior to the back inflate bc I was looking at. But the concept is the same.

I too find that trim is easier with a back inflate bc. As a matter of fact I find it even easier with a bp/w setup!!! Maybe the Tech Divers are on to something!!!

Sorry if my post above is unnecessary I didn't realize this thread had 4 pages before I posted!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom