Edmund Fitzgerald

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canuckdiver once bubbled...
Just to throw another wrench into the works.......

I can understand the fitz being considered a grave site, and as such, diving on her being controlled. (said understand, not neccissarily agree)

BUT, what is the reasoning on banning dives to wrecks like the gunilda? There were NO deaths on her, she lies in 250', well within the realm of tech diving, and isn't really old enough to be considered an achaeological site?

So, why are we not allowed to dive on her?
:whack:
I have no idea canuckdiver. Why was diving on her banned, who banned it?

Just to throw another wrench into the works.......

I can understand the fitz being considered a grave site, and as such, diving on her being controlled. (said understand, not neccissarily agree)

BUT, what is the reasoning on banning dives to wrecks like the gunilda? There were NO deaths on her, she lies in 250', well within the realm of tech diving, and isn't really old enough to be considered an achaeological site?

So, why are we not allowed to dive on her?
:whack:

Interesting. I wasn't aware that Gunilda was closed to diving. What about the other well known Lake tech dive, Kamloops? Can she still be visited?

Possibly the reasoning behind banning diving on wrecks like this is misplaced Governmental concern for our safety?

Tom

WreckWriter once bubbled...

That topic has been covered before I think, with the expected result of none of us agreeing :)

Tom
LOL! So what's new!:D

as far as I have heard, the kamloops is still fair game.
But, this summer there was a boatful of divers that attempted to dive the gunilda, and just after getting to the spot, a police boat approached, and stated that diving had been prohibited, and promising HEFTY penalties for anyone who entered the water.
I believe that some of the land owners in the area called the police.

from what I have been told (unconfirmed), certain groups have gotten permits to "do research" on her, but not sure what govern ment agency to contact?

as far as I have heard, the kamloops is still fair game.
But, this summer there was a boatful of divers that attempted to dive the gunilda, and just after getting to the spot, a police boat approached, and stated that diving had been prohibited, and promising HEFTY penalties for anyone who entered the water.
I believe that some of the land owners in the area called the police.

from what I have been told (unconfirmed), certain groups have gotten permits to "do research" on her, but not sure what govern ment agency to contact?

This site, http://www.terrace-bay.com/gunilda.html talks about permits for Gunilda. can't vouch for its accuracy.

Tom

WreckWriter once bubbled...

This site, http://www.terrace-bay.com/gunilda.html talks about permits for Gunilda. can't vouch for its accuracy.

Tom
Interesting. In my experience Canada has always been "very active" in protecting the wrecks in their waters but this seems extreme to me. I can see the govt. trying to protect unqualified divers from themselves but see no reason to forbide divers who can prove themselves qualified for such diving.

gedunk once bubbled...
Interesting. In my experience Canada has always been "very active" in protecting the wrecks in their waters but this seems extreme to me. I can see the govt. trying to protect unqualified divers from themselves but see no reason to forbide divers who can prove themselves qualified for such diving.

The U.S. government, NOAA anyway, used to do this also for wrecks which fell under their control. It took Gary Gentile spending a buttload of money to force them to give him a permit to dive the Monitor. After that they stopped trying to save our lives in this fashion and other deep water permits were issued too.

Tom

It's not *common* for canada to ban diving on a wreck, but it's not unheard of either.
My problem with this one is that this wreck is within tech limits, and less than 100 years old, so I don't see any purpose in stopping people from diving the wreck.
This has gotten off topic, we should probably move the gunilda discussion to another thread

I have to say that I have not kept up to date on this thread. But look at the sonar images of the Fitz from this summer. they are at http://www.marinesonic.com/ under sonar data samples. All I have to say is that it looks trashed! I thinking there are much better wrecks to be diving in the lakes.

Thanks
Kevin Jones

that image is the front half of the ship, with the bridge and superstructure. she broke in half on the way down, so, as you say, the hold section in the center is pretty muched trashed. However, the living/control areas at the front of the ship are upright and well preserved, and the back half is upside down, but also well preserved (judging my the most recent footage I have seen.)
Your'e right, there are better preserved shipwrecks in the great lakes that are easier to get to, but how many of those can you honestly say you remember seeing BEFORE they sank? (I know, I'm old! LOL)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom