Edmonds Underwater Park Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
Shallow stuff at EUWP:
Hooded-Nudibranch-1.jpg

Wow, nice! What's that?! :)

Uncle Pug:
A hooded nudibranch.
Hooded-Nudibranch-2.jpg

OK, so I'm clearly way off on my assumption as to what a hooded nudibranch is then! :)

What are those white, translucent slugs with all the triangular "spines" on their backs? About an inch long, they were all over the place at EUP at around 30-40 fsw from Enhancement Way to Centennial Way?

I'd post a pic from today but my camera was fogged the whole first dive, and stayed in the car during the second.

Grrr...I gotta take one of those Underwater Biology type classes and do some more browsing / reading / picture surfing. :wink:

Thanks for setting me straight: I always see people so hyped about seeing nudis, and say to myself that I must be so lucky that I see 20+ a dive. :wink:

Thanks.

Woland

Rick Inman:
Don't know if this will help, but HERE is a link to a nice map you can print out.

Thanks again for that map, but either my dive computer is bonkers or those depths are off by at least 20'. Or are the depths listed at low tide?

Sorry, as you can tell from my logged dives, I'm still a newbie.

Thanks.

Woland

Woland:
Thanks again for that map, but either my dive computer is bonkers or those depths are off by at least 20'. Or are the depths listed at low tide?

Sorry, as you can tell from my logged dives, I'm still a newbie.

Thanks.

Woland

Yeah, now that I look at it again, those depths do seem shallow. Your computer is probably accurate.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think this is an old map - which would not account for the depth differences, but would account for it being less than complete.

Woland:
OK, so I'm clearly way off on my assumption as to what a hooded nudibranch is then! :)

What are those white, translucent slugs with all the triangular "spines" on their backs? About an inch long, they were all over the place at EUP at around 30-40 fsw from Enhancement Way to Centennial Way?

White-lined dirona?

white-lined-dirona.jpg

Also know as Frosted Nudibranchs, Dirona albolineata and about 3 other names. One of my favorite things to find.

There is a small surface dive flag buoy attached to the Truimph.

There are also two "Jetty Way" pallet signs (gray pallets with drilled holes that spell out "Jetty Way"). at different points on the trail as you head West. The Truimph is located shortly after the second Western-most sign and slightly NW. Going out to the Truimph and back on the bottom along Jetty Way is a nice dive.

Divers are currently "discouraged" from diving the dry dock due to Homeland security concerns and from the negative publicity from the occasional ferry worker "rescue" of divers who have misread currents or strayed into the ferry dock area.

If you really want to go there, check out the map on the restroom wall for the location and access the currents as you approach on the trails from the north. If the normal surface swim at EUP stresses you out, you may want to consder if you are physically able to handle potential currents near the ferry/drydock.

To get to the sunken dry dock (my favorite spot at Edmonds), swim out to the big sign that says don’t get south of it or you will be arrested or chopped up. When you are at the piling looking out to sea, turn right about 45 degrees (north west) and swim out about 15 to 20 yards. Put on your mask and look down until you spot a rope, follow that rope out to sea and continually look over you left shoulder until you spot large metal stuff, there you are, just keep swimming around and enjoy.

In my experience I always see the biggest lingcod in the area on the sunken dry dock, and the coolest stuff to swim through.

One time I saw a skate swimming through the eel grass, it was about 3 feet wide, wow that caught me off guard.

JUMBO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom