Edmonds Underwater Park Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Woland

Reaction score
Hello all,

Today was my first two dives at EUWP. I have a couple questions, if you don't mind.

1) First off, why don't they allow DPVs here? That surface swim sucks!

2) What is the correct buoy line to go down to find the Triumph? (I know, sounds like a really stupid question). We went down the line where the yellow "sausage-looking buoy" thing was, and then swam off at 310 degrees. I saw a line crossing our path after about 5 minutes and I thought it was the line of 3 buoys beyond the Triumph so we turned back, and never found it. We did see a small wreck (looked like a wooden ship): in what direction is the Triumph from it?

3) What's the proper way to find the submerged dry docks? (Again must sound like a really stupid question). We swam out to the first white buoy (over near the ferry), descended along this line, followed the bottom line until it disappearedm and then swam left (about 210 degrees I think). We swam (against a strong current) for about 8 minutes and saw nothing, and turned around, as that ferry prop sure sounds scary.

Just as an FYI: both of us had never been to EUWP before and obviously didn't read the map well enough, but I wonder if the strong current (flowing from the ferry towards the jetty) might have had something to do with our poor navigation.

Any tips for me for next time?

Thanks!

Woland

1. I didn't know they were not allowed. I've used them there before but won't in the future if this is true.

2. I don't know.

3. The submerged dry docks are off limits as they put you within the exclusion zone of the ferry landing.

Woland:
Hello all,

Today was my first two dives at EUWP. I have a couple questions, if you don't mind.

1) First off, why don't they allow DPVs here? That surface swim sucks!

2) What is the correct buoy line to go down to find the Triumph? (I know, sounds like a really stupid question). We went down the line where the yellow "sausage-looking buoy" thing was, and then swam off at 310 degrees. I saw a line crossing our path after about 5 minutes and I thought it was the line of 3 buoys beyond the Triumph so we turned back, and never found it. We did see a small wreck (looked like a wooden ship): in what direction is the Triumph from it?

3) What's the proper way to find the submerged dry docks? (Again must sound like a really stupid question). We swam out to the first white buoy (over near the ferry), descended along this line, followed the bottom line until it disappearedm and then swam left (about 210 degrees I think). We swam (against a strong current) for about 8 minutes and saw nothing, and turned around, as that ferry prop sure sounds scary.

Just as an FYI: both of us had never been to EUWP before and obviously didn't read the map well enough, but I wonder if the strong current (flowing from the ferry towards the jetty) might have had something to do with our poor navigation.

Any tips for me for next time?

Thanks!

Woland
Don't know if this will help, but HERE is a link to a nice map you can print out.

BTW, I kinda like long surface swims... the gentle rocking, the easy kick 'n drift... ahhhhhh.....
:D

Uncle Pug:
1. I didn't know they were not allowed. I've used them there before but won't in the future if this is true.

I heard this from someone quite knowledgeable of the place, but I didn't read anything about it on the website (http://www.ci.edmonds.wa.us/Discovery_Programs Website/Underwater_Park.html) or on-site, so it might not be true. Certainly seems like a good spot to use one though, eh? :wink:

Uncle Pug:
3. The submerged dry docks are off limits as they put you within the exclusion zone of the ferry landing.

Doh! My bad. The ferry sure did sound close. :wink:

Thanks.

Woland

Rick Inman:
Don't know if this will help, but HERE is a link to a nice map you can print out.

Thanks! Hmm, don't see the Triumph on that map.

Rick Inman:
BTW, I kinda like long surface swims... the gentle rocking, the easy kick 'n drift... ahhhhhh.....
:D

I kinda like them too, unless your fins are hurting your feet and ankles that day, and if the current seems to mischieviously shift to be against you both ways. :wink:

Thanks for the map!

Woland

EUP is not my favorite place but if you are getting tired with the long swim slow down and even consider not doing a long surface swim.

It's shallow so you're not going to use your air very fast so just drop down and swim underwater (it's scuba after all:)

Sometimes the small critters in the eelgrass on the way out to the "underwater structure" are more interesting than the other part of the dive.

gcbryan:
EUP is not my favorite place but if you are getting tired with the long swim slow down and even consider not doing a long surface swim.

It's shallow so you're not going to use your air very fast so just drop down and swim underwater (it's scuba after all:)

Sometimes the small critters in the eelgrass on the way out to the "underwater structure" are more interesting than the other part of the dive.

Believe me, I might just do that next time. :wink: Or at least snorkel on the way out instead of swimming on my back.

Woland

The last few weeks, the eelgrass has been FULL of hooded nudibranchs -- really great fun to slow down and watch them. Sometimes you even see them swimming, which is a truly bizarre sight.

TSandM:
The last few weeks, the eelgrass has been FULL of hooded nudibranchs -- really great fun to slow down and watch them. Sometimes you even see them swimming, which is a truly bizarre sight.

We saw at least 50 nudis today! :)

What are the slugs that look kinda like them and hang out with them? Are they younger nudis?

Thanks.

Woland

Shallow stuff at EUWP:
Hooded-Nudibranch-1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom