editing help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks again i look forward to the tutorial, feel free to play with the shots no copyright laws in cayman anyway! and you guys are helping me out and hopefully some other blue photographers.
cheers
Justian

OK. This was a little more involved than I first thought, but I finally finished the requested tutorial. CLICK HERE. I hope you like it. It is intended for full version Photoshop. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a PM.

---Bob

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and came up with a quick and dirty method last weekend for converting blue photos in PS CS2. I haven't read of anyone else using this method so I thought I would share it. Not sure if the commands are available in other versions.

The procedure I used on these two photos consists of:

1. Image > Adjustments > Match Color...
In this dialog box, check "Neutralize" and I upped the Color Intensity slider to about 150.

2. Image > Adjustments > Auto Levels

That's all that was done to these two photos. Obviously, more control could be applied to the levels instead of the auto settings, and on some photos, I don't adjust the color intensity slider from the default.

I have tried this method on photos with flash and found it didn't work very well.

Dale

turtle1_700edit.jpg

sray2_700edit.jpg

I am by no means an underwater photo expert, but I did try to edit your photos in Photoshop (which I am pretty good at doing). I would approach your photos in one of two ways:
1. Either get a good flash or two strobes to properly illuminate your subjects, or
2. Do not adjust your white balance at depth and correct the color later in Photoshop.

1. A flash is obviously the best way to go. You will get better photos and minimize Photoshop processing later.

2. If you don't have a flash, I find that I get better results if I leave WB on auto and then correct the colors in Photoshop using the Mandake process. This actually works pretty good but comes in second to properly exposed photos with a flash. I find that if you 'correct' WB at depth then the Mandrake process doesn't work and it is much more difficult to correct the colors and contrast. But then again, some of the results above are pretty darn good using Photoshop methods other than the Mandrake process. I will have to explore some of the methods above. In PS CS2 you can automate the Mandrake process and save it as an "Action" to speed processing.

Hi Doc Harry
thanks for the advice I am getting the stobe for christmas, the problem with these pics was the flash did not fire at all, leaving virtually no red to play with.
thanks

Original post

Hi I've just bought a housing for my canon and these are my first attempt, I have now learnt how to set WB and make sure the flash is actually on but i realy like these pics (no flash way to much blue) and can anyone help. I would realy appriciate if you could say what you did to improve them
thanks in advance.
Justian
PS i'm getting a strobe for christmas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom