Edisto River dive charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kirkwt

Registered
Reaction score
My son and I just completed our open water certifcation at the end of July. Would like to take a fossil hunting trip down to the Edisto river in South Carolina. Been searching on the WEB for any one that does dive charters on the Edisto. Found a few for the Cooper, but we do not have the training or experience for that yet. Any suggestions would be apppreciated.

Hello Kirk,

I have a recommendation for you for an Edisto river dive boat and guide. Unfortunately he is out of commission right now due to health reasons. He should be back in business next season. The Edisto river is currently WAY down from normal water levels. This is actually a good thing for fossilers because it makes the fossils easier to get to. The very lower part of the Edisto has some depth but most areas of the 206 miles of Edisto river are shallow. If you look closely on Google maps you will see some deeper (6-15 feet) darker spots, but you will also see the shallower (2-4 feet) light colored sand bars. When you find a shallow area of the river, with a gravel bed, you can fossil it with a mask and snorkel. The reason you will not find any dive Charters for the Edisto is because it is because most of it is not that deep and in some places you have to get out of your boat and pull it along.

Here is a video of a gravel bed we found last weekend. Found one 2" Angy. Note I am standing in the river and walked easily across the river. It was 3-4 feet deep max.

Here is a spot about eight miles down river from the video above. It had a 15 foot trench on one side of the river that was full of gravel. The other side of the river was shallow.

The Cooper river is not a bad river to dive in. I was diving the Cooper about three weeks ago and found so much Indian pottery that I just left tons of it and this was only in 20' of water with about 3'-4' viz.

If you have your heart set on the Edisto, I would tell you to wait till next year and contact a fellow member, and DM captain, who goes by subadaddee. He is awesome and will put you on fossils and give you a memorable experience with your son.

Thanks for the suggestions. It will most likely be next year before we give it a try.

Thanks. Venice is on our list to dive. Just trying to work out some time off from work that coincides with my son's school schedule.

Here are some thumbnails to show you how different the Edisto can be. It really depends on where you are on the river as to what the conditions will be like. Can this area be dived? Yes it can. Knowing the Edisto the way I do I can look at this water and tell you the max depth is around 10-15 feet deep. Not too many trees close to the edge so there may not be log jams in this area. Can there be log jams? Yes of course. Looking at the grassy edges and high bushy growth I expect there to be alligators here. Alligators are ambush predators and this is the type of area they like to call home. They like to not be seen and they like being able to get in and out of the water without exposing much of themselves. Are there fossils here? Yes. This is tidal water located in the ACE Basin. This location is about 18 miles from the ocean.

To fossil this area one needs a boat with anchor and dive flag(s). The boat needs to be one you can get in and out of without using the shore. Stay in the center on the bottom. Stay away from the edges. This is prime gator territory.

th_100_8870.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom