Edge regulator service cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're making an illogical association. The cost of the regulator has nothing to do with the cost of servicing it.

You spent $250 on a regulator and somehow you want the labor and parts for your bargain regulator to be less expensive. Why?

Should a technician charge less per hour or not be compensated for the parts they have to buy to service your regulator just because you shopped a deal?

If I bought a pair of several hundred dollar mens' shoes at a thrift shop for $10 and they needed to be resoled, should I get a discount because I only paid $10 for the shoes in the first place?

If it's not worth it to you to service your gear, sell it on the used market and buy new every year. Otherwise you pay for the service that you don't want to pay for and don't know how to do yourself. The cost of the regulator is completely irrelevant to the technician who would work on your gear.

I don't think he's asked anything illogical. If the cost to replace is about the same to maintain, then it's a justifiable question as to what he should do. So do you have any recommendations on what a regulator service should cost or do you only know what shoes at a thrift store cost?

I don't think he's asked anything illogical. If the cost to replace is about the same to maintain, then it's a justifiable question as to what he should do. So do you have any recommendations on what a regulator service should cost or do you only know what shoes at a thrift store cost?

I do most of my own service, so it costs parts and time. When I have used a shop I've paid ~$50/stage + parts (~$175-200ish for a first and two seconds). My point is that the cost of the regs isn't an indication of what service should cost. No doubt there's a case to be made for just replacing inexpensive regulators, but there's not a case for why servicing them should be less expensive just because they're less expensive to buy.

I do most of my own service, so it costs parts and time. When I have used a shop I've paid ~$50/stage + parts (~$175-200ish for a first and two seconds). My point is that the cost of the regs isn't an indication of what service should cost. No doubt there's a case to be made for just replacing inexpensive regulators, but there's not a case for why servicing them should be less expensive just because they're less expensive to buy.

$50 per stage is outrageous. $25 per stage is the upper side of reasonable.

$50 per stage is outrageous. $25 per stage is the upper side of reasonable.

It's been a while, I could be remembering incorrectly *shrug* whatever it was it seemed worth it at the time (because my regs were breathing like crap and I wanted them to breathe better quickly). It's entirely possible that I paid to get to the front of the line as well. In any case, I do most of that sort of thing in my garage so it's not very relevant.

It's been a while, I could be remembering incorrectly *shrug* whatever it was it seemed worth it at the time (because my regs were breathing like crap and I wanted them to breathe better quickly). It's entirely possible that I paid to get to the front of the line as well. In any case, I do most of that sort of thing in my garage so it's not very relevant.

It is when you are posting to help others. Who were you trying to help?

My point remains that service costs what it costs because it's a function of time and parts. Service cost is not a function of how much the regulator cost.

No one assumed it was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom