Edge Epic 2012 Swivel Hard to swivel when pressurized is this normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

machonachos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, my girlfriend has the Edge Epic 2012 regulator. This model has a ball swivel attached to the 2nd. The swivel moves freely and effortlessly when not pressurized. However when cleaning our gear tonight, I noticed that when pressurized the swivel is very hard to "swivel". Almost nearly impossible to swivel around by turning your head with the reg in your mouth. Fairly hard to swivel the reg around by hand (reg out of the mouth). I have no experience with swivels, is this normal? Does the swivel move around more freely at depth? This is the only reg she ever dived with, so she can't really tell if it "swivels" around underwater.

The swivel will stiffen up when pressurized. Think about it. Moves freely without air. Then apply 140 psi to the swivel which contains o rings to help make the seal. It's going to get stiffer. All a swivel does is allow you to more easily adjust the position of it with your hand under water. It is not going to flop around freely.

Jim do you know if the swivel is removable on this reg?

Yes. But not from the hose. Only from the second stage and first stage. So if you wanted you could put any hose on the second stage that has standard fittings. My own epic is set up without a swivel. For no other reason than I just do not care for or need a swivel on my regs. I swapped my hose with the one from my GF's EXP because she likes the swivel on her regs.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Hi, I've got the same model. It does get a little stiffer to move, but not impossible when pressurized. Still moves pretty good for me when I have it in - which is the point of it on the first place. I'd have it checked out or replaced at your LDS. Kind of pointless to have a swivel that doesn't swivel and also want to make sure it's not a liability later. Good luck!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom