Edd Sorenson saves ow diver in a cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This girl doesnt know how lucky she is that she didnt run out of air in zero vis before Edd found her. He was at a different location, [JB] when he got the call. Twin silts up very easily with poor technique. Id like to see a public THANK YOU from the dad and daughter and their side of the story for others to learn from. Edd Sorrenson is IMO the diver of the year.

I'll second that.

I'd like to see her and her dad post a personal account in Basic Scuba as a cautionary tale to others. Beginning with what their thought process was I'd like them to walk all OW divers through the thrill of adventure, to worry, to regret, despair and panic.

They were in TWIN???

For those who aren't familiar with the area: Jackson Blue has a very large opening into a big, open cavern zone. There's a lot of room between the ceiling and the floor, and because of the very strong flow, there is virtually no silt in the cavern. I can easily see an OW diver thinking that he could swim in a little way and have a look.

Twin, on the other hand, has two entrances. One is small and silty, and the other is a true restriction. Neither is inviting in the way that the JB cavern is. To enter Twin, you have to very clearly intend to do it. And, if the story on CDF is accurate, this family had been specifically warned against doing so.

dear divers without cave certs,

the fact that this girl is still alive IS A STRAIGHT-UP EFFIN' MIRACLE. i'm in total earnest. unless you plan on taking edd with you when you do something this abysmally boneheaded, it is very very unlikely you will survive.

so just don't do it. don't go on dives you aren't educated to complete. d a is right - going in is easy. then you decide to turn around and - surprise! your big flutter kicks have made big billows of silt and you didn't put a line in and it's dark and you're lost and you don't have a lot of gas.

so just don't do it. go do something safer, like playing in traffic or shooting up heroin or calling gang members weenies.

look, it's not that cave divers think we're all that. well, ok, we do, but that's not the point. the point is that this is information that *you can have*. if you want to dive in caves, the training and education and practice is available for you to do it. WE AREN'T SAYING YOU CAN NEVER BE GOOD ENOUGH TO CAVE DIVE, JUST THAT YOU AREN'T THERE RIGHT NOW. don't take it as a dare when we say don't do it.

edd, thank you. i wish you never had to do rescues or recoveries again, but that's not that likely, huh?

Bob, thank you for posting the link to Edd's shop. I invite all who have not already done so to check it out. I have bought many things from Edd. I have never met him or been to his shop. I have talked to him on the phone quite a bit. His customer service is just as good as the ending to this story. Thank you Edd for all you have done for the cave diving community.

Now, on to my rant. It will be short this time. Stay the hell out of places you don't belong. Simple. I am not a lion trainer so I am not going to stick my head in a lions mouth. If you are not a cave diver, stay the hell out of caves. Get training them come back and enjoy the caves.

Great things being spoke of hear on this thread.
I would hope that the daughter involved could post here and not be brutalized.
WE ALL HAVE MADE MISTAKES!
We learn from them and continue to make our way in the world.
The gravity of the incident has undoubtedly left her with a clear understanding of just how dangerous caves can be.
Her father is an adult and therefore should be addressed as one!

The several times I have done business with Edd at Cave Adventures it has been awesome!
The saddest truth is the Rescues get little press but the Recoveries are all over the place.

A father has a second chance to watch his daughter grow up, attend college, get married, have kids.
I am a father of a daughter I CLEARLY UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS MEANS.
I SAY THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE WILLINGNESS OF A MAN TO FACE THE REAPER AND RETURN WITH A LIFE!

This whole thing has been bouncing in my head all day.
I truly hope this father gets it.
I sure do.

CamG

I would never condone what this family did, but I think that I can understand how they happened to be in this situation and why there is serious problem with O/W divers entering cave systems or diving beyond the ability level.

I have been skiing all my life. I have taught a number of people over the years from their first days on ski's to some that had been skiing for some time. The same thing with diving. If you look at the learning curve for both of these sports, anyone that is just starting out skiing, knows the effects of bad choices. Everyone has fallen, they all learned quickly about steep and deep or ice, they can stop and look over an edge and know they won't make the first turn and it all hurts if you mess it up.

With diving, most of it is simple. If they have a reasonable amount of control over buoyancy, diving is easy. If you were to run a pole on SB, on how many divers in their first, say, 100 dives had a life threatening issue, I would have to believe it would be a very small number. They don't know what the dangers are. I know, they all have been told not to do this or that, but without having some experience with the negative aspects of thier choices, those warnings of will fade fairly rapidly. It's like training my kids or grandkids what "hot" is. You can tell them "don't touch, it's hot". But they have no concept of what it is until they experience it. I am sure that the entrances of these caves are a draw for these people that have never had a negative experience. For me, I had plenty of negative experiences diving over the years, so I knew not to tempt fate by entering one without the proper training.

Post on Cavediver stated she was found in the "cavern" that means she was no more than 50 feet or so from the entrance (going by memory here)

The entrance to twin has a bit of a restriction and the floor is silty. Suspect this was a classic "I'll just go in a little ways and take a look" only to find the exit had disappeared in a cloud of silt.

Reactions: Jax
Post on Cavediver stated she was found in the "cavern" that means she was no more than 50 feet or so from the entrance (going by memory here)

The entrance to twin has a bit of a restriction and the floor is silty. Suspect this was a classic "I'll just go in a little ways and take a look" only to find the exit had disappeared in a cloud of silt.

They also said she was found in an air pocket created by the groups exhaust bubbles and that she had 1200psi remaining. Amazing.

Back
Top Bottom