Economic way to dive West Palm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wschoel

Registered
Reaction score
Any suggestions for places to stay or dive charters to use (or avoid) in West Palm. Looking for an economical 3 day weekend for a family of 4 (or is that an oxymoron?)

Most divers refer to West Palm Beach vicinity as west palm beach. In reality most choose to travel either south or north.

My dive shop+dive buddies exclusively go to boynton beach inlet. There are several charters there although I prefer pelican and loggerhead boats. There is also splashdown divers and other boats there.

The trip:
long agonizing trip.
most people travel there then sleep in holiday in for around 80 bucks per night and dive in the morning. trust me you only make the mistake once. after 4 hour trip your desire to dive diminishes exponentially. Let alone being stuck in bartow for 2 hours because train blocks off rt 60. You can also get there via avon park route.

4 dives 2 days runs me 250+food+gas=about 320.
2 dives 1 days runs me into 135+food+gas=about 170
2 dives 0 days runs me into 70+food+gas=120

But we also get discount rates by going there all the time.

I like Underwater Explorers out of Boynton. Kevin's boat is limited to 6 divers, but would easily hold twelve. He is also a great captain, and a good guy. His prices are very competitive, and he will work a deal if possible.

West Palm does have some OPs, but the sites tend to be shallower, and less dramatic than Boynton, or further north (Jupiter). West Palm does have an abundance of turtles. I've NEVER seen more turtles than while diving West Palm.

You don't have to do ONE Op or site. You can dive Lauderdale, Boynton, West Palm, and Jupiter all in a few days. You can then form your own opinion.

I can not comment on places to stay in west palm, but in this economy I'd think some deals can be had.

I'd also recommend Underwater explorers. We use him a few times a year for our dive club and we always have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom