eating and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sberanek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I tried doing a search on this subject and SB was being punky so I figured I would just ask again.

What do you eat while diving or before diving?

I ask because I have a hard time with just about everything if I eat between diving. I can eat a big ol' greasy pancake breakfast from IHOP before I start diving for the day and feel perfectly fine, but if I eat more than a few bites of fruit between dives, I feel like I'm going to start feeding the fishes. Twice I've had to thumb a dive in the middle of it because I felt horrible from lunch.

I have no problem with liquids, and I keep hydrated. Some people give me a hard time about not eating during the course of a day's diving, but I feel better if I don't. Is not eating more than a little fruit OK?

--Shannon

I know a guy who swears any drop of orange juice or orange itself will make him seasick. I on the other hand get sick if you look at me crosseyed....so I always stick with bland foods before and during the dive day.

If you're well hydrated, few of us will suffer from not eating during a day trip diving. If you're not that hungry and you've eaten beforehand, a few bites of fruit will help you get the salt water taste out of your mouth without overloading your stomach.

In short - if it works for you it is a good way to go. Eating is far less critical compared to drinking and staying hydrated.

Enjoy,

All I know is I had a cheap convenience store sandwich during my surface interval yesterday, and my second dive was dominated by indigestion and heartburn.

I find that my fish feeding has a direct connection to the amount of surge/wave action.

the only impact food has on it is what the fish ultimately eat!:arrow:

Before the dive boat goes out a light breakfast, like banana or breakfast bar. One coffee only. Plenty of water. I take the seasick meds since I am prone when its a day trip only. After the first dive I can have a sandwich, orange, cookies, whatever. Gatorade to drink. Doesn't seem to matter much. I do tend to get indigestion on the second or third dives so I carry some Tums or Rolaids to help ease it.

Any kind of citrus fruit or anything with vitamin C is not good to eat prior to exercise.

Perhaps the exercise gels would work for you. They help keep up blood sugar and are designed to be used while exercising heavily i.e. running marathons. I have used the Power Bar gels several times during hikes. Never needed them for diving.

Eat whatever but well before the actual dive. This gives the food time to 'settle down'. The trick to not feeding the fish: triptone (30 mins before boarding boat) and out of the smell of diesel fumes.

I have diabetes so have to eat between dives most of time. I like power bars (the brand). They digest very easily, since sometimes I have to eat even if not hungry.
good luck

I have diabetes so have to eat between dives most of time. I like power bars (the brand). They digest very easily, since sometimes I have to eat even if not hungry.
good luck

Good to know. Being a diabetic as well, it's nice to hear other peoples' tips.

--Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom