Easy to use software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDevil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Guys,
I know there have probably been a number of times people have asked about sotware choices but I am hoping you may be able to give me some advice.

I have 3 hours plus of footage on mini DV tape which I want to edit to produce a DVD of about 30 - 40 mins duration. I need to complete this project within the next month or so. I also have no prior experience and haven't produced my own "movie" before.

So I am looking for some software that is easy to use for a begginner but is capable of producing "professional" looking results. The top of the range software such as Premiere Pro would be well out of my price range, and would have far too steep a learning curve for me at this stage.

I am looking for a package that will allow me to complete the whole process from capturing through to DVD burning. Easy capturing over multiple tapes would be good (my footage is on four separate tapes). I want to be able to create menus, titles, subtitles etc. I also want to put on a music soundtrack and maybe narration, whilst still having the original soundtrack from the footage if this is possible.

The main choices I am considering since they are readily vailable locally are:
- Pinnacle Studio
- Ulead movie Studio
- Premiere Elements

I am leaning towards Premiere Elements since I can get quite cheaply and it looks like it will do the job for me.

If anyone can provide info that may help with my choices I would be very greatful.

Thanks, Dave.

Although I did touch/sample video several years ago, I tried about 4 different ones and ended up with Premier Pro, Yes, I paid the price.... it seemed to have everything I wanted...
What would typically happen when I tried the various ones, is that they'd all be fairly simple and the same, but were missing various options... Premier had them all and then some, but the point is that I'd go with Premiere Elements even though I do have an older version of Pro... but I haven't used it... so I'm basing it upon the like comparison of Photoshop CS (CS2?) in relationship to PS Elements... which is very good..
So Premiere Elements would be my choice... based upon experience in the past and assumptions of the present... I would automatically get it if I were to do it over again..

Hehheh.. unless, of course, I see something in this post that knocks my socks off...

Hope that helps...

I hear what fpoole is saying - if you get Premiere Elements now, and decide you want Premiere Pro later, you will already be somewhat familiar with the premier interface.

That said, I use Pinnacle Studio. You can pretty much just pick it up and use it. BUT, it is buggy. You need alot of RAM (didn't work great on an 866meg, 512k ram maching), works good now with 2gigs of RAM and a 3.8g processor. It's picky. Also, there are bugs that crop up which you have to go online to sort out. (Out of sync problems, capture card problems, etc.)

Check out Pinnacle's forums on www.pinnaclesystems.com and see if you see any huge compatibility problems with your machine or your capture card.

It's really easy, however, to produce great quality results once you learn the workarounds for the various problems that crop up. And you can't beat the price. It goes on sale for $29.99 at Frys.

Ulead is very easy to use. It's drag and drop, but you can step up and do lots of other cool stuff.

I have some friends that use Adobe. It can be very productive, but has the most difficult user interface out of the 3 you mentioned.

Cheers,
Jamie

P.S. I've only been editing for a short time, if that helps where I'm coming from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom