Easy to reach Pacific reef destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

typical for land based, think of it like cruises where they don't assign roommates. booking a cruise by yourself typically costs a lot more than the per person rate booking two people.

you break the package down as the room + dives + meals. the room component in effect doubles with only one person staying (because you aren't dividing by two).
I'd assume the dive component is most of the money. This really is no different from when I do land based on Cozumel and pay for my own hotel room. But most Fiji resorts, at least their websites, don't have it broken down this way. They either advertise $4000 / week for dives+room+food or $10000 to rent a villa with unlimited dives and food for up to 15 people. Scuba diving is probably 10:1 male-to-female, and many male divers travel with female non-divers, so I am surprised everything is only priced for couples who both dive or large groups.

Some will have a non-diver rate listed, but all will quote a discount if the 2nd guest is a non-diver. 10 dives is generally around 500 to 600 USD for the taveuni area, I would say on a standard package its roughly 1/2 for the room and around 1/4 each for the food and diving.

@bvbellomo
FYI, whitemanta.com would only add 20% more to the trip cost if you want a cabin for yourself. They call it “single supplement”.

Another FYI, Mermaid 1 has 1 cabin for one person.

@bvbellomo, I can relate to what you're saying about the Caribbean. I, too, am tired of it for a variety of reasons, so my dive travel has been focused in the Pacific and Asia. I'll give you my real life experience here with maybe a little opinion thrown in.

I did my first trip to Raja Ampat in 2023. It was a logistical challenge to plan everything and takes a lot of research and preparation. My flight took some 50 hours, including an 18-hour layover in Tokyo for which I got a hotel to sleep, then went back for the flight from Tokyo to Jakarta (another 8 1/2 hours). Raja Ampat is for hard-core, experienced divers (my opinion). You don't want to arrive and start diving. You really need a day of rest to get over the jetlag and add another day for delays and cancellations. That's four days before your diving starts. IMO, if you're going that far and spending so much money, perhaps make this a trip to look forward to when you have more time. I did a liveaboard and a land-based resort and was there for 28 days on a 30-day visa. I wrote a live trip report. Trip Report - Raja Ampat, Live Report, Nov. 7-Dec. 7, 2023

Earlier this year, I spent time on two of Fiji's islands, the main island of Viti Levu and Taveuni. This was my first trip to Fiji and I'm hooked! I have attached my trip reports.

IMO, Fiji fits what you're looking for...easier to get to, even from Ohio, than Asia, cheaper overall, and fantastic soft coral reef diving. LAX or SFO to Nadi is a direct, 10 1/2 hour flight. It usually departs at night, 9 p.m. to 11 p.m., so you could conceivably fly from Ohio to LAX or SFO on the same day. If not, get a cheap airport hotel and get to California the day before the Fiji flight. Keep in mind you lose two calendar days going to Fiji, and you arrive back to the West Coast the same day you left.

I am a solo traveler, so money matters when I'm charged double for my own room on a liveaboard; therefore, I don't take too many dive trips that way. The Nai'a is the ONLY liveaboard in Fiji, so there's no competition and it's pricey, $5000-$7000 per person for 7-10 days and double that if you want your own room. For that money, you could get two weeks to a month at a land-based resort and only be charged around 20% for the solo penalty, depending on where you stay. Also note that Nai'a ran aground a couple of months ago and sustained damage to the boat. You can find a firsthand account of the incident at undercurrent.org. IMO, if a liveaboard captain can't keep the ship from running aground or the boat has maintenance issues (and most of them do around the world), then that company is off my list.

I highly recommend Volivoli in Rakiraki on the main island of Viti Levu. Taveuni is the other island popular with divers. I found the hassle with the domestic flight, limited luggage allowance, land transfers, and the awful experience at Paradise Taveuni to be more than I wanted to deal with, so I won't be going back. Note that Paradise Taveuni's owners are getting divorced and the resort is for sale. Take caution if you book there because you don't know how secure your funds will be if everything goes sideways and they shut down the resort. Plus, when a resort is for sale, all improvements and repairs to the property stop and the staff start disappearing or they're working in fear and unhappy.

@bvbellomo
FYI, whitemanta.com would only add 20% more to the trip cost if you want a cabin for yourself. They call it “single supplement”.

Another FYI, Mermaid 1 has 1 cabin for one person.
I don't spend any waking time in my cabin or room, so I don't care what it looks like or who I am with. Saving money is nice, but really, just being able to see prices on the website is what I want. I might try to find a buddy or even put together a group, but I bet at least half their clientele are in the same boat, so it doesn't make sense they don't advertise prices.

I am not so much tired of the Caribbean, but want to experience something different. I don't want to do another Carribean trip when I've never dove the Pacific or Indian ocean.

As for saving this for when I have more time - that might never happen. And if it does, it may be at a point in my life where I can't afford to scuba dive. There is absolutely no benefit to my employer if I take a 10 day vacation twice a year instead of a 20 day vacation once a year. My situation is typical of companies in the USA and most places I've worked had similar policies. My cousins in Europe don't understand this either.

Once you are in Manila imo I don’t think Puerto Galera or Anilao are worth saving a domestic flight over. They are both hours away from Manila via bus or taxi and then ferries in the case of pg.

You can hop on an hour flight and then you are a 5 minute trike ride from dive centers and hotels on Bohol.

Or an hour flight to Dumaguete and then 45 minutes or so via cab to Dauin. (Or rent a car, public transport is a pain in duma, taxis are a racket, and there is no grab)

Or even an hour flight to Cebu city, there is some decent diving there and then you could also go to Moalboal.

Once you are in Manila imo I don’t think Puerto Galera or Anilao are worth saving a domestic flight over. They are both hours away from Manila via bus or taxi and then ferries in the case of pg.

You can hop on an hour flight and then you are a 5 minute trike ride from dive centers and hotels on Bohol.

Or an hour flight to Dumaguete and then 45 minutes or so via cab to Dauin. (Or rent a car, public transport is a pain in duma, taxis are a racket, and there is no grab)

Or even an hour flight to Cebu city, there is some decent diving there and then you could also go to Moalboal.
That's just time in the air. Getting to NAIA and waiting can take longer than any flight in the country LOL.

That's just time in the air. Getting to NAIA and waiting can take longer than any flight in the country LOL.
NAI’A’s in Fiji, and PG is in the Philippines, but as to getting to NAI’A from the airport in Nadi, it’s a 20-minute ride . . .

NAI’A’s in Fiji, and PG is in the Philippines, but as to getting to NAI’A from the airport in Nadi, it’s a 20-minute ride . . .
N inoy A quino I ntl A irport (NAIA) is most definitely in the Philippines

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom