Easy On/Off Retention Ideas for Canister Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrBlenny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Folks,

I'm switching things up on my Apeks BP/W for warm water and changing to OMS vertical pockets since I don't need 20lbs. of lead in the tropics. However, I dive cave-style with a 7ft hose tucked under my canister light, and with the smaller pockets it will be able to travel on the webbing, which I don't want. I could leave the light at home, but it's the configuration I am familiar with, and I like it :)

Anybody have suggestions for a convenient keeper to hold the canister in place on the belt webbing that can be done reasonably quickly during prep?

Thanks,

-Michael

I use this also to hold it in place.

I the use this: MOUNT
to mount it on the waist belt. It is removable easily underwater without needing to release the belt.
How does that stop it sliding? I have one of those on one of my can lights and it doesn't sit in place without a buckle.

How does that stop it sliding? I have one of those on one of my can lights and it doesn't sit in place without a buckle.

it doesn't, but if you like to have a d-ring or a pocket on the right hip it allows you to easily remove the canister without unthreading things.

You use a buckle or the clip I posted earlier to keep it from sliding, and the elastic mount to hold it on your belt and stll make it easy to remove.

I used one of those DR can quick release for years. I dont recall any problems with can sliding over buckle in the water but the can was floppy. On land it would occasionally move past the buckle.

I switched to a solid strap on the can 5 or 6 years ago. After the initial period of playing with a new toy the quick release function when I had it rarely was used.

As for keeping my cans in place I just use a buckle. Make sure to put the fat end toward the can. Simple, inexpensive, works well.
:)

I've used a homemade version of the DR mount thingy for years. Works great. I use a plastic weight belt buckle to hold it back against the plate because I have a right-side sliding d-ring as well for sidemounted bailouts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom