Easter Island Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've just returned from Easter Island, a.k.a. Rapa Nui, a.k.a. Isla de Pascua, Chile. This was my second time to the island and the first opportunity to dive there. The short story is that if you have a chance to visit Easter Island, GO! Diving aside, it's one of the most unspoiled and relaxing places you can visit. The stone heads (Moai) are enigmatic and it's great fun to drive around the island and visit all the archeological sites. It's probably not worth going all that way for the diving, but if you happen to find yourself there definitely get a few dives in.

There's two dive shops on the island, Orca Divers and Mike Rapu Diving, both next to each other down by the small cove in Hanga Roa. Ya can't miss 'em. Both appear to be well appointed and competent. I went with Orca Divers (mostly because they advertise that they accept credit cards, but then Mike Rapu probably does too). For a diving operation on a remote island, I found the service and equipment to be excellent. I didn't have any of my own gear with me so I rented from them. Orca Divers uses well-maintained ScubaPro BCs, Regs, and wetsuits, much of it new or nearly so. Dives typically cost US$50 each in the harbor, $60 for other sites, with full equip rental.

All the diving is from open fiberglass boats, about 6m/20ft long. They have ladders available for re-entering the boats, which helps. Dive sites are from 3 to 30 minutes away or more, depending on where you go. Conditions can be rough due to wind and waves (especially when entering or exiting the Hanga Roa harbor -- there's always people surfing there which gives you some idea of the conditions); diving may not be available on some days due to weather. The dive shop was very flexible about times: basically I just showed up, said "I want to go diving!" and they would say "Great, we're going out at these times and you can come along, or we can just take you out now."

The water temp was typically 72F/22C, visibility about 60 feet despite the frequent rains while I was there. I hear the vis often exceeds 100ft. I dove with a full 5mm plus a 2mm vest with a hood. There's no big fish life -- I'm still puzzled about that, there's no big fishing fleets so I don't know where all the fish are, but maybe it has to do with the general isolation of the island. There's an amazing amount of hard corals, much of it pristine and healthy. The number of species, however, of both corals and tropical fish, seems limited. It's almost as if the island's isolation has kept a wide variety of critters and corals from colonizing it.

Still, the diving was relaxing and beautiful. There's not a lot of colors in the corals, but perhaps a night dive would change that (I didn't do one). If you get a chance, dive beyond the harbor at some of the local "motu" or islands. I dove the neaby island of Motu Nui (center of the old "bird man" cult on the island, if you're familiar with the history there) and thought the wall was fantastic. The volcanic nature of the area makes for some interesting underwater topography.

US dollars are preferred all over the island, as well as Chilean Pesos. Exchange rates are awful, so it pays to have lots of cash available. There's just one ATM, and it doesn't take Visa or Plus System cards (bummer for me). Travelers checks can be exchanged for lousy rates at the bank, gas station, or one other cambio in town -- these are the only sharks you'll see while diving there. Credit cards and travelers checks are not accepted at many places, and if they are you'll probably get charged much higher rates. In the off season the local B&B and hotel operators come down to the airport to greet each incomming plane, offering rooms to tourists who may not have anything lined up. I took a basic room at a B&B, with attached bathroom, for US$30 a night. Car rentals and food on the island are a bit pricey, especially the beer, because it all has to be imported, but there are some good empanada shops around town for those on a budget. There are no MacDonalds, Pizza Huts, Starbucks, Hilton hotels, or any other franchise sorts of places, which is one reason why the island still feels magical.

The pictures attached to the posting above show a replica Moai in the Hanga Roa harbor (yeah, that's me), and divers along the wall at Motu Nui. Both pictures were taken with a housed Canon A80 digital camera.

Cool report, but I have to know.

This is the second time for you to visit. What drew you back and how in heaven's name did you get there? Cruise ship Kon Tiki?

Tell that part of the story!

RoatanMan:
Cool report, but I have to know.
This is the second time for you to visit. What drew you back and how in heaven's name did you get there? Cruise ship Kon Tiki?
Tell that part of the story!

Hi RoatanMan,

I flew there 10 years ago because, well, it's one of those strange places you always read about but never think you'll actually go see. Yeah, Kon Tiki and all that. :) I was just traveling around South America at the time and had the opportunity, so what the heck. I had a great time -- it's a neat place to just hang out and relax.

This year my job took me through South America with a stopover in Santiago, Chile. Flights to Easter Island originate in Santiago (and continue on to Tahiti and New Zealand) and I thought, well hey, I wonder if I can get a cheap flight to Easter Island again, and this time go diving? It was especially tempting because I had been working in the cold farther south for the past 8 months and wasn't quite ready to go north to another winter.

The only airline that flies there is LAN Chile; if you go to their web site http://www.lan.com, most flights from Santiago to EI are prohibitively expensive. But if you select Chilean nationality suddenly all the domestic specials pop up. It's high season now so I think it's over, but when I booked the ticket two months ago it was only $450 or thereabouts. Cool! The only problem was that it was all in Spanish and I know barely enough to order a beer, so I translated the entire web site and reservation using AltaVista Babblefish. Pretty cheeky of LAN to offer those specials only to their Spanish-speaking clientele, but I wasn't about to let that stop me!

Hey g2 - great post. I'm planning on heading out there in November (Spring?) for the same reasons - it's on my life list. Couple of questions - did you go it alone? Can you recommend somewhere to stay? How long were you there? Any other pitfalls to be aware of? Did you do any other diving in Chile? I have enough miles to get to Santiago, so I thought I'd spring for EI. The walls look spectacular - I would have expected fish to congregate there, middle of the Pacific and all. Seems like EI divers are a pretty exclusive group...

Hi Bug-guy,

Yep, I went alone. It's a very safe place, and there's usually no problem meeting other travelers there.

As far as places to stay, I stayed at Martin y Anita hotel because Martin grabbed me at the airport and said he'd give me a room. It was okay, basic and cheap. If I was to go back, I'd probably call ahead and make a reservation with Chez Cecilia. It costs more and is a bit farther out of town, but still only a 10-15 minute walk and it's definitely a couple steps up in quality and amenities. (I met someone who was staying there and had a look around the place.) You can't go too far wrong, even showing up without a reservation like I did, and if you don't like your room you can always move somewhere else. Two people told me they didn't like the YHA hostel.

I was there for five days, which was a nice length. Anything less than three days and you'll be rushed, I think.

Pack light, expect occasional rain showers, take lots of cash, hiking shoes, and plan on renting a car for at least a day or two. You can always take a canned half- or full-day tour first, just to get the lay of the land, and then rent a car later in the week. I am usually loathe to rent vehicles in foreign countries but this is an exception. There is no insurance, forms, or anything. You just tell the hotel owner you'd like to rent a car, and *pop* one shows up later that afternoon or the next morning (it's usually their brother's or uncle's car, whatever). I asked about insurance and they said, "Oh, just don't hit anything." Really, drive slow and the only thing to avoid is the occasional animal in the road or horseback rider. It's a bit expensive to rent a car, but it gives you the freedom to visit the best places on your own schedule.

You can rent the ubiquitous Suzuki 4x4s, compact sedans, or even an ATV or motorbike, but I'd stick with the 4x4. Many of the roads are unpaved, the sun can be scorching, and trips are usually a full-day-picnic sort of outing because a lot of the most interesting archeological sites are on the other side of the island.

The diving is loads of fun, but my impression is that they often get inexperienced divers who just want to blow some easy bubbles during their trip to EI. The upshot is that most of the scheduled diving, at least while I was there, was just off shore near the harbor. It's still worthwhile, but you can see from the picture that the best stuff is farther away. You might have to keep your eyes on the dive shop schedules, and perhaps pressure them to take you to some of the better sites if they don't have anything scheduled (they may not want to go far for just one or two divers). Better yet, when you get there talk with them and see if you can hook up with some other experienced divers, and maybe arrange group trips together. Be aware that windy weather conditions can blow out the diving, so don't wait until the end of your trip to get a few dives in.

The Hanga Roa side of the island didn't seem to have much current, making the diving slow and easy. If you can get to the other side maybe there's more current, and thus more fish? Either way, please post how your trip went and what you saw!

Cheers,

glenn

Awesome! I lived in Uruguay for a few years and am kicking myself that I went to Santiago but not Easter Island. :( I wasn't yet certified, but if I was... OH MAMA! Congrats on the experience.

Signed,
Jealous One

g2 - Good stuff! If there was a diving version of the Rough Guide, you could pick up a few bucks writing for it. Your notes are really encouraging, thanks. Can I assume you're finishing up the summer down South? You don't over winter, do you?

enjoyed your trip report very much!

Thanks for the report and the info. Very helpful for later use!

Back
Top Bottom