East Tennessee Divin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jscubadive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wonder what the lake/quarry temperatures are now? Loch Low-Minn, Philadelphia or any other close quarries. I remember years ago going to a quarry off of the Lenoir City exit anybody have name for that quarry? I have also heard of Rheas I think diving a quarry in Rockford, not sure if they still do or not. Anybody have any information on a quarry named Lemons which was either near Loch Low-Minn or Philadelphia Quarries just wonder if they ever reopened Lemons? If fact I think read about Lemons on the UT Scuba Club Dive Site page, but they have since took off after they closed. I remember reading something about one brother shot another brother being the reason..

Any good spots in Norris to dive at? I have only dove right at the dam, and in Anderson County Park. Wonder how deep and if there is anything left of the town of Loyston. Also anybody dove the Holston river below Cherokee dam? I heard years ago about a few finding Civil War relics in there.

Thanks,

James

Its still chilly. I went to Philadelphia last weekend and got 43 from my computer. I dove wet though, so its possible without a drysuit. Got a little over an hour in. Vis was pretty good though.

I would assume LochLow is fairly similar right now.

I was told about the one in Lenior City you were talking about, but I am pretty sure it is closed. Dont know about any of the lakes. The only place I have been around here are those two quarries.

Hi Matt

That is a bit cold, 43, at least for me. I too use a wet suit and even 50 is little more then I can handle for long. I think the last I heard about the Lenoir City Quarry and this is a handful of year ago, is they started quarrying rock or whatever again and was closed to diving. I have only been there once and that was in 1986 when I was taking a refresher course with David Rhea. He had a dive shop on Western Avenue called Scuba Dudes at the time. Later he opened Rheas Diving Services in Maryville.

I have heard of other quarries around here that people dive in, but I never have been except those three. I guess liability problems keep any possibilities closed.

Me and my buddy usually dive Cherokee Lake and in years past dove Norris. Norris of course being the clearer of the two and is the best close by to town. I have snorkeled at Dale Hollow and that is a very clear lake, and I have heard South Holston has very good visibility deeper down, but never been there.

I saw in your profile you use a Dive Rite Regulator the 2500 and was wondering how you like that? I do not have a regulator right now, and for now am using my buddies Genesis gear and am trying to decide to what brand and model I should buy.

James

Yeah, there are a couple of others, but they are fairly restricted on their acess. I know of at least one, but you must be trained for deep diving to get in.

I would love to get to some of the lakes, just gotta find a weekend that works to go to them.

I absolutely love my RG2500. I had a Genisis GS2000 before hand, and while that was a good reg, I definately like my DiveRite better. I assume your in the Knoxville area? Lets go diving sometime and I will let you try it if you want to get a feel for it.

Hi Matt

That does look and sound like a great Regulator, your RG2500 Dive Rite. I have not talked to anybody that has used a Dive Rite regulator before, my buddy does have the wings by Dive Rite and he is very happy with them. I think he may have the G2000 Genesis, his setup that he lets me use for now he bought back in 1999 or so, so not sure if that model was out then. I do live in town here. The only shop I have seen anywhere close to me that carries Dive Rite is Smoky Mountain Divers up in Kingsport, but that is about an hour and half away.

Where is that quarry you have to be trained for deep diving at? Lemons if I am not mistaken is 120' deep which is a bit deeper then Loch Low-Minn or Philadelphia which max out at maybe 75'? There is a very deep quarry I am wanting to say 300 feet plus not far from me, but pretty positive that is not open for diving. I remember several years ago a rescue diver died there, he had used the wrong gas and got into trouble from that. That might be Lamberts.

Ok Matt we will go diving sometime and thanks for letting me try that out. I am waiting for the weather to get a little warmer and the water.

James

I buy all my Dive Rite gear from Phil at DiveSports. Its a shop out of Alabama, but I spend the summer down the road from the shop, so I use them over the summer, and order from them if I am not there. They are great. If you are at all interested in buying something DiveRite, they are the way to go.

As for the quarry, Im not sure of the name. I know some people taking some advanced classes over there, thats about it.

Let me know when you want to dive. Im usually up for it pretty much anytime.

Hi Matt

Ok, I remember there use to be a deep quarry near Nashville TN that they had classes in for deep diving but I have not been able to find their website recently. I think they were affiliated with Cerulean Springs from KY. If I remember right, they were 160' deep. Just found an old link, last paragraph:

http://www.extremz.com/main/archive/places/ceruleandes99.htm Deep Blue

I have dove Martha's Quarry twice, and really enjoyed it but that is such a long drive for me. Ive only dove Loch Low-Minn once so would like to explore that quarry some more. Philadelphia I have probably dove at least 50 times, though not in sometmie. Norris and maybe that sunken bridge in Chilhowee might be interesting for the lakes. Will try to contact you maybe in April, hopefully water will be a little warmer by then.

James

Yes, there is one up in Kentucky, but I have never been. There is one in Pelham, AL that goes well into the triple digits, and only like 4 hours away. I have never been deep there before though (70ish was my deepest). Its a pretty sweet place to dive.

I love Marthas; it is probably my favorite quarry, and one of my favorite dive sites. There is a Meet and Greet over there April 21-22 that we are planning. You are more than welcome to join that weekend. There is another thread already started about that.

Be aware I am at UT, so once May comes, I go away. I will be in Huntsville at that point, but you are welcome to join me down there to dive. Like I said though, I dive anytime pretty much. Its warm enough for me right now.

Blue Clear Divers in Knoxville now carries Dive Rite - so you can get Dive Rite gear in Knoxville.

There are lots of us here in Knoxville that love to dive - most of the local diving is at either Loch LowMinn or Philadelphia Quarries - unless you want to make a much longer dive. There is a new Quarry down near Cartersville, GA - Dive Haven - that is deeper and not too far a drive from Knoxville.

Once the weather warms up there will be lots of folks for you to dive with in this area.

Dive Safely

Jscubadive:
I saw in your profile you use a Dive Rite Regulator the 2500 and was wondering how you like that? I do not have a regulator right now, and for now am using my buddies Genesis gear and am trying to decide to what brand and model I should buy.

If you come out to the DUI Dog days (at Bluewater, in Pelham, AL) on March 31, you're welcome to try out my Apeks ATX 50. I can also bring it to Matt's Meet and Greet on April 21, if you'll be at that. Just send me a PM a few days beforehand to remind me.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom