East end of Grand Cayman.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Starfish18

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

We are heading to the east end of grand cayman and are just writing a post to ask if any of you have, useful information for us, especially if you have worked as diving instructors out there.

We would also like to hear your opinions if you have dived with or worked for Tortuga divers ltd.

Thanks, we look forward to your comments.
:crafty:

I've dived with Ocean Frontiers down the East End several times, and the diving is by far the best on Grand Cayman.

Make sure you take a camera, as I have seen sharks – Caribbean reefs or hammerheads – on every dive I how done in that area.

Mark

I spent a week diving with Ocean Frontiers last year and I second MarkUK's sentiments. It was one of the best dive ops I have ever used. I handled my gear twice - when I got it to the boat the first day, and picking it up from the rinse tanks at the end of the trip. Captians and DMs are all young, active divers with a great deal of enthusiasm. I would not use any other op, not because I have any negative experience with them, just because OF is that good.

The diving was great, typically a wall site and then a shallower reef site on each two-dive trip. Visibility was awesome.

Could be time of year, but we were there February/March and unlike MarkUK the only large animals I saw were two eagle rays on one dive, a couple of turtles, plus a bunch of tarpon.

One thing about the East End, it is the best diving on the island but it is a little remote. You're going to want a car if you want to get to restaurants, shopping, etc.

Are you going to work there or dive there? PM Drew Sailbum here, he works(ed) for them. If you're just on a vacation, I'd suggest buying groceries in Georgetown b4 you drive out there, it's 45min or so back to town.

Thanks for your help guys, yes we are planning on workng for them.

MarkUK:
Make sure you take a camera, as I have seen sharks – Caribbean reefs or hammerheads – on every dive I how done in that area.

You lucky dog! In 4 and a half years of heavy diving on East End I never saw a hammerhead. Reef sharks on occasion (there is one site where you have maybe a 50% chance of seeing them) as years ago there was a shark feeding program in place.

The area is not particularly known for pelagics. About once a year dolphins pass through the area. Hawksbill turtles are reasonably common throughout the area.

The dive sites are topographically diverse in the shallows, but all of the deep sites are wall dives. The walls are sheer with healthy coral in the deeps. A few spots on the top edge of the wall and in the shallows were substantially impacted by a severe hurricane in 2004. There are no wrecks which are regularly dove in East End.

Drew Sailbum:
You lucky dog! In 4 and a half years of heavy diving on East End I never saw a hammerhead. Reef sharks on occasion (there is one site where you have maybe a 50% chance of seeing them) as years ago there was a shark feeding program in place.

The area is not particularly known for pelagics. About once a year dolphins pass through the area. Hawksbill turtles are reasonably common throughout the area.

The dive sites are topographically diverse in the shallows, but all of the deep sites are wall dives. The walls are sheer with healthy coral in the deeps. A few spots on the top edge of the wall and in the shallows were substantially impacted by a severe hurricane in 2004. There are no wrecks which are regularly dove in East End.

You were indeed unlucky! I was out in the Caymans last April/May time, first for a week on Little Cayman, then a week on Grand covering the Total Sub event at Sunset House. On the Saturday morning in the middle of the two weeks, prior to everyone arriving for the Total Sub event, I nipped down to Ocean Frontiers to get a couple of dives in on my own before I had to play 'happy Mr Editor' with lots of new divers, etc. Typically, I decided to just go for a bit of fun and didn't take my camera... Fatal. First dive, I am at the back of the group mooching along when I glance up and see the dive guide giving the shark signal and then 'hammerhead' signal. The group (think there were six divers) were spread in front of me, but I glimpsed a hammerhead swimming past in front of them. I broke left and finned like hell around the side of this large coral pillar and as I came around it, the hammerhead (a good nine footer) arced round just 10-15 ft over my head and disappeared up over the reef. No bloody camera... Gutted...

Mark

Starfish18:
Hi all,

We are heading to the east end of grand cayman and are just writing a post to ask if any of you have, useful information for us, especially if you have worked as diving instructors out there.

We would also like to hear your opinions if you have dived with or worked for Tortuga divers ltd.

Thanks, we look forward to your comments.
:crafty:

Another vote for Ocean Frontiers. If you dive with them, tell Fraser Purdon the folks in Fort Lauderdale said hello :)

My first Caribbean diving was in Cayman and we loved going to the Cayman Diving Lodge at least once a year. Great wall diving and nice reefs on the East End. And best of all, there were only 3 shops (now 2) on the east side so there was never the issue of beating other boats to the best sites like on the north wall or west side.

We did a number of afternoon dives to Top of the Maze and always had anywhere from 3-7 reef sharks come in and circle us. It matter of who got bored and left first, us or them. Always lasted at least 10 minutes.

We haven't been back since Ivan. Mostly because the place we loved to stay and dive with is no longer there. We will likely try Ocean Frontiers later this year and stay at Compass Point. I need my East End fix and can't wait for the Lodge to rebuild... if they ever do rebuild.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom