East End dive ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timetraveler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My buddy and I will be spending a week at Morritt's in June. I've seen both Tortuga Divers and Ocean Frontiers recommended. We dove with Tortuga Divers in 2001 and liked them, but I understand that they've been taken over by Red Sail Sports (since then?). We'd like the convenience of diving from the resort, but we hate cattle boats. Can those of you who've dived with either/both of these East End dive ops please share your experiences and opinions? Do you think it's a good idea to book a package in advance or can we wait and see what weather and sea conditions bring?

event.png

I have dived with both. Both have nice, friendly staff & decent boats.

I'm not really sure what a "cattle boat" is and, anyway, the number on the boat is irrelevant to me; perhaps someone else can address this.

I would book now to avoid disappointment. The better the weather, the more likely the dive op is to be full. It is when the weather is bad that you get an unrestricted choice of dive ops.

Tortuga Divers seem more oriented towards beginners than OF which, depending on one's experience level, may be good or bad. For example, I have seen Tortuga Divers do 2 shallow dives in the AM instead of the usual 1 deep + 1 shallow, on the ground that some divers on the boat could not descend below 60 feet. That simply would not happen at OF. OF is happy to let experienced divers ignore the guide and "do their own thing"; I'm not sure Tortuga would allow that. OF will allow divers with appropriate experience and gear to dive solo.

I would book now, June is not far. I don't know about Tortuga but I wouldn't be surprised if OF gets booked (if they're not already.)

I can't speak for Tortuga except for what I've heard through the grapevine, which is they are OK but tend to operate on a very conservative profile. I dove with OF in October and they are awesome - you won't regret using them, and it's only about 7 minutes from Morritt's to the OF shop. You can even check in on your arrival day next to Morritt's (Reef) if you don't feel like stopping at the main OF shop on the way from the airport.

And if you are diving several days in a row at OF, you may leave much (or all) of your gear with them and your gear will have been rinsed and on the next morning's (or afternoon or night) boat waiting for you the next day. So you don't have to haul your equipment back and forth to your hotel each day..

Last edited:
What Tom said!!! Plus the staff are awesome - Britta, Elly, Neal, Sam, couldn't have been nicer or more professional.

Note to the last 4 posters: what the OP asked for is a COMPARISON of Tortuga Divers & Ocean Frontiers. Can you comment on the differences between the 2 dive ops?

It has often been noted that during the past year, Red Sail Sports has taken over Tortuga Divers. Truth is, Tortuga Divers and RSS have always been under the "same umbrella". TD, RSS and Sunset Divers in fact are under the same umbrella.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom