East Coast Spearfishing classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My brother and I will be in Fort Lauderdale for a few days this spring as we move up the coast from the keys back home. We're both interested in doing some spearfishing and would like to find if there are any classes or reputable instructors who teach spearfishing on scuba (as opposed to free diving which I've found several instructors for) in the general area.

Anyone have any recommendations?

..... or reputable instructors who teach spearfishing on scuba....

I think I know what you want. It's like don't teach me freediving, don't teach me bluewater spearing, don't teach me low viz spearing. "Teach me how to spearfish on scuba in waters that I normally diving in and for the type of fish that I see while diving. Show me the tips and tricks to help me hit more and bigger fish safely".

You'll hear others echo my suggestion. Call Dixie Divers just a couple of minutes north of Ft. Lauderdale and ask specifically to only speak to Chad Carney. (Dixie Divers ph 954-420-0009).

Not only is he a certified dive instructor, spearfishing author, spearfishing tournament winner, but he knows how to put more fish into the cooler and teach you how to do it. Chad is easy going, a calm teaching style and alot of fun on the boat. He will show you not only tips on how to sneak up on fish, but also tricks to stop in the sand and bring fish closer so they look to see what you are doing and you have an easy shot.

When you walk off the boat after the class, you'll know you can fill a cooler with fish anytime. He's really good at teaching spearfishing (on Scuba) with great results.

e-35lbsgagMGS.jpg

Getting a copy of Chiefy's books are a good idea too since they are written for south florida waters .. they're a good read but nothing beats hands on.

Be sure to spear any Lionfish you see. also make sure go to Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission - Licenses and Permits and pickup an out of state saltwater license
Nonresident 3-Day Saltwater Fishing
$17.00​
Nonresident 7-Day Saltwater Fishing
$30.00​
+ $5 for Lobster tag if desired to try in season.

Fish & Game have been known to stop boats and check, as well as check divers coming in from the shore. Better safe than sorry.

I think I know what you want. It's like don't teach me freediving, don't teach me bluewater spearing, don't teach me low viz spearing. "Teach me how to spearfish on scuba in waters that I normally diving in and for the type of fish that I see while diving. Show me the tips and tricks to help me hit more and bigger fish safely".

You'll hear others echo my suggestion. Call Dixie Divers just a couple of minutes north of Ft. Lauderdale and ask specifically to only speak to Chad Carney. (Dixie Divers ph 954-420-0009).

Not only is he a certified dive instructor, spearfishing author, spearfishing tournament winner, but he knows how to put more fish into the cooler and teach you how to do it. Chad is easy going, a calm teaching style and alot of fun on the boat. He will show you not only tips on how to sneak up on fish, but also tricks to stop in the sand and bring fish closer so they look to see what you are doing and you have an easy shot.

When you walk off the boat after the class, you'll know you can fill a cooler with fish anytime. He's really good at teaching spearfishing (on Scuba) with great results.

View attachment 179144

Second on this. If you want the best, Chad Carney.

Thanks, all. I ended calling around yesterday before getting any responses and booked a "course" with Sam at ForceE. After talking with him on the phone a bit it sounds like we'll get what we need. Info about weapon choices and the whys and hows of using them as well as some technique pointers and hands on trials of the different options.

I'll post some feedback about it once we're back from our trip.

EDIT:iluvtheocean could you be more specific about your book recommendations? I don't know what "chiefy's books" means but I made a book recommendation thread in the hunting subforum and gotten bupkis so far.

Bone up by watching some videos on youtube.I have a couple as do some really good spearfishermen.
100daysdiver - YouTube
mangosnapper35 - YouTube
Cameron Kirkconnell - YouTube

There's more to be found,you can get great insight by watching these.Hearing and reading can only convey so much about positioning,closing,aim etc...

Thanks, all. I ended calling around yesterday before getting any responses and booked a "course" with Sam at ForceE. After talking with him on the phone a bit it sounds like we'll get what we need. Info about weapon choices and the whys and hows of using them as well as some technique pointers and hands on trials of the different options.

I'll post some feedback about it once we're back from our trip.

EDIT:iluvtheocean could you be more specific about your book recommendations? I don't know what "chiefy's books" means but I made a book recommendation thread in the hunting subforum and gotten bupkis so far.

CHIEFY - Apparel, Equipment and Publications to the dive industry

And Sam at Force -E Pompano is a great guy to do this class/seminar
with.
He is very experienced, and a natural teacher.

Chad is also very, very good.

Chug
Yes.....
Knows Sam personally, and that means little in this endorsement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom