Easiest & Cheapest way to remove paint / stickers / gunk from old aluminum tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xhris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have several (~50) Aluminum tanks that have been condemned over the years. Most are just random drop offs at the shop.

I would like to use them in a new display. But to do this I need them to “match”. Is there an easy way (Chemical maybe?) way to get all the crap off the tanks? I can also scrape with a razor, prime, paint. I will repaint them either chrome or a metallic black.

I just don’t know what will give the most “uniform” look. I don’t have access to anything that would blast it. Do not care if it compromises the tank further, but would like it to last, so preferably something that won’t rust / Pitt the tank.

They have all been removed from service, have a hole in them indicating this. They can not be used for any type of diving / filling / pressure.

I grab heavy duty degreaser by the 20L
sodium hydroxide, alkaline salts category 8 corrosive in my country at least and soak them for a while

Sometimes depending on the paint condition after roughing up the surface with some 100 on an orbi

Paint remover works fine; you have to get the stuff that’s safe for aluminum, methylene chloride or something like that. It’s messy and I would definitely use a chemical mask, serious eye protection, and heavy chemical resistant gloves. Sounds fun, doesn’t it!

Do not care if it compromises the tank further
If it's out of service and want it the quickest fastest way, then 120 grit flap disc in a hand held grinder going in straight lines down the tank. Should take about 7 minutes & $5 disc per tank and it will be down to bare metal. No paint, no stickers, no pits, no stamps. Just a hunk of bare metal.

When we dry them after hydro and while still very warm to the touch, 9 out of 10 of them will just peel off.

Take the valve out and toss them in a bonfire for several minutes. The burnt paint comes off easily and then minimal sanding to get the uniform look you want.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT PUT AN ALUMINUM CYLINDER IN A FIRE. You could end up by creating a bomb by inadvertently altering the the heat treat of the cylinder or an area of it. Aluminum, unlike steel is heat treated at relatively low temps.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT PUT AN ALUMINUM CYLINDER IN A FIRE. You could end up by creating a bomb by inadvertently altering the the heat treat of the cylinder or an area of it. Aluminum, unlike steel is heat treated at relatively low temps.

Very true for in-use cylinders, but seems like the OP's have already been rendered un-fillable via an additional hole:

They have all been removed from service, have a hole in them indicating this.

Take the valve out and toss them in a bonfire for several minutes. The burnt paint comes off easily and then minimal sanding to get the uniform look you want.
This SEEMS to make a lot of sense. We use aluminum pans and posts to cook with, we use aluminum foil when baking, so a thick aluminum tank should be able to take some heat right?

Using a fire to remove paint from an aluminum tank is however, the worst advice I've seen on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom