Earthquake!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Leesa,
Thought that beach shot looked familiar......:D Loved it there when I went last year... So glad to hear you guys are ok.... Hopefully they'll find the damage minimal. I hope anyways.....

Wildcard:
Once again I felt like I got caught with my pants down here. In Alaska, I have food, water, fuel and shelter for weeks if not months without outside help. I also have enough guns and ammo to get food and protect what I have. Here, food and water for a couple of days, a week at best and no way to defend it. I HATE that feeling.
Once again the scum of the islands came out in force as they do every chance they get. Im waiting to see the crime reports from yesterday.
No deaths, few injuries...Dodged the bullet once again here.
WC,
Hey, I expected you to be prepared here as well.....Winchester makes Safes..
Spam sells by the case, Rice by the 50LB bag, and a 55 gal plastic drum full of water will take care of you guys till you can gather the rainwater, or take someones sailboat from them that has a freshwater system(that is why you need your guns) By the way,
just funning around with the crack about the sailboat..(I don't need the compitition if the stuff REALLY hits the fan!)

cruisegirl:
Hey Leesa,
Thought that beach shot looked familiar......:D Loved it there when I went last year...

Next time you get here gimme a hollar so we can go and take some pictures :D

Aloha from the really BIG ISLAND east of you...Glad to hear most everybody is OK and the dive sites appear to be in good shape...best of luck to you all and see you in early December...

carlos

mrjimboalaska:
WC,
Hey, I expected you to be prepared here as well.....Winchester makes Safes..
Spam sells by the case, Rice by the 50LB bag, and a 55 gal plastic drum full of water will take care of you guys till you can gather the rainwater, or take someones sailboat from them that has a freshwater system(that is why you need your guns) By the way,
just funning around with the crack about the sailboat..(I don't need the compitition if the stuff REALLY hits the fan!)
Im shoping for that new Springfield XD 45 auto. Rated as the best handgun ever by handgun mag. Few hundred rounds of ammo and I should be good to go! Water is easy, food aint so hard but getting beer can require some serious firepower...:D
This is the one!
http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/xd-pistol/gap/5in/XD9505.jpg

Wildcard:
PS , what is this "we" crap? And anyway depth has very little to do with distance anyway.
I guess it wasn't obvious by my "Location" field: I'm on Maui now (and for the next 5+ months).

Please explain how a tsunami is created, then -- someone who seemed to know what they were talking about said that because it was so deep (underwater, or under the crust, not sure) there wasn't much risk of a tsunami. Was this incorrect?

There are two kinds of tsunamis. I don't remember the exact names but one is a "splash" type from large landslides that have been witnessed at over 1200 feet high, witness buy the guy in the only boat to survive it. The other is the shock wave type that is most familiar. They travel long distances at 500 mph and have a short in height but very long wave length. I'm not an expert by any standard but I have read about them some. A near shore event like this one would threaten the Pacrim but not here. Our last wave was from the good Friday quake in 1964 and it was generated in Alaska. I'm not positive I'm 100% accurate on this but that is the way I was told to works from an exibit I think.

Clearly we need to work on our immigration laws, they are letting anyone in these days! LOL

I know that B&B Scuba in Kihei leaves the boat ramp earlier than anyone else (I think that check-in is at 6:00 am). Thus, it is possible that they may have had divers in the water when the quake hit. Has anyone heard about what (if anything) divers heard and experienced in the water column during the quake?

Just curious,
Dave

Turtle guy was in the water for the last one I think. Not as big but it was a cool post.

Back
Top Bottom